RF distro amp

Ynot

On the lookout for an aerial distro setup to feed up to 14 EW300 radio mics. The budget (as yet undecided) is unlikely to stand the pukka Sennheiser kits, so jugs starting to look at alternative options and as usual I am interested in actual real world experience with suitable DA.

Obviously this will need to cater for ch 38 frequency set, and will need matched aerials.

For the past 3 years I've been using 75 ohm tv distribution amplifiers manufactured by Proception and distributed by CPC.http://cpc.farnell.com/proception/proamp108u/amplifier-tv-micro-8-way/dp/AP01824?in_merch=Products%20From%20This%20Range

In all that time I've never had a problem with them. I was intrigued about their performance so took one in to work and hooked it up to the tracking generator and spectrum analyser. Their response is pretty much flat from channel 38 up to channel 70, and there was 0dB measured from input to output (it claims 3dB, but I've been treating them as a buffer rather than an amplifier). One quirk is that they don't pass phantom power to the antenna, so if you're using head amps you'll have to find an alternative way of powering them. The units themselves can be powered by phantom from the receivers though. For that price they're worth having a play with. I've screwed a pair in to the wood of each rack. BNC to F-Type leads are available, thought they don't come with them. Whilst I wouldn't condone the mismatch in a transmit system, so far I've seen no issues running a 75R device. I stuck a signal in at pretty high level using the tracking generator and didn't see any nasties. Likewise with all my transmitters switched on, in close range and with the spec analyser on an output from one of the amps, I saw no intermods (nothing more than with a proper Trantec amp anyway).

You'd of course need more than one for each side of the diversity, and I'd be tempted to do a passive split to 2 amps, rather than daisy chaining 2 together.

Hi YNot, Check out the Ultra Light 16 way RF distro units, they are very reliable and compact units cable of distributing RF signal 16 ways. They also work with many different manufactures and models of radio mic systems. Sennheiser and other companies do have their own but these are a lot cheaper at £999 +VAT list price. Check out the website for them here: http://www.ulsmanufacturing.co.uk

I've been using passive splits designed for comms kit, and like cedd says, they work fine. I can't actually see that many benefits of the expensive systems, apart from aerial powering, and I've never been convinced signal strength is the panacea people think it is, and aerial placement and feeder loss are far more important.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived