Back Projection Message board

willpower

• 8 months later...

Forgive me for bumping this topic back up, but for future reference this is how I've managed it recently with a budget of zilch.

Using a old nokia with a freebie SIM card, connected up with a Nokia data cable to an old pc I had laying around - I used Gammu (open source = free :)) in it's SMS Daemon mode which converts all incoming messages to the Nokia into a row in a MySQL database... which is then easy enough to output however you like - I wrote a frontend in VB to poll MySQL every few seconds, but you could just as easily knock something up in PHP that auto refreshes every few seconds. Takes a fair bit of playing about with to get Gammu working but it's well worth the effort.

Hope this helps someone in the future, feel free to PM if you need a hand.

• 3 weeks later...
A potential contact could be Edinburgh Uni Students Association (www.eusa.ed.ac.uk) who used to run a similar thing in Teviot when I was a student there.

We seem to have lost this system now, sadly ;) Last time we did something like that it was me using Arkaos, a spare sim and my laptop, much as someone else mentions above.

- Brian, Edinburgh uni ents crew manager.

try http://www.vidicom.co.uk/text-to-screen.php

they have a free one , allows mixing of SMS,MMS, SMS Voteing, banner adverts,video files and live vid.

the free one charges users 50p + 1 TXT to send messeges , you can pay for it and get money back from it.

all you need is a web conection

it even gives you a short SMS number and keyword

ian

Archived