2-3 Opinionated Testers Needed

jfitzpat

Greetings!

I am looking for 2-3 testers for a PC based lighting controller. You need:

* A Windows 2000 or XP computer

* 1 or more DMX intelligent fixtures or DMX compatible dimmer packs

I will provide:

* Software and USB DMX adapter

* Templates for your fixtures (if not already in library)

Catch:

* None if you need only 1 DMX universe (512 channels)

* Slight if you need 2-4 DMX universes (or more)

I can send out one universe HW with no paperwork. If you need one or more four universe, rack mount, unit(s), I'd need to get an eval request form (basically a promise to return the gear within a certain period).

Purpose:

This is not Beta testing in the traditional sense. I'll be sending you control system that has been running some big shows the last 18 months. The purpose is that, now that a couple of other projects are shipping just in time for LDI :huh:, the powers that be are letting me do some 'skins' for a part of the software we call the 'LivePanel'.

The LivePanel's original skin is sort of a hybrid. It is a little bit DJ'ish but it also includes some features with theatre and corporate events in mind. Daniel and I made this new addition to the application 'skinnable' so that, along with our new, dramatically less expensive, 'mini' interface (1 DMX out, 1 DMX in, SMPTE in/out), we could easily tweak the UI to more specifically target different user groups' needs.

One of the skins we definately want to do is one geared towards small theatre applications. We are already getting quite a bit of use in theatre, though most often as a moving light add-on for existing theatrical consoles. I don't have a problem with this. In fact, it is one of the reasons that the 'mini' includes a DMX in. But, we'd like to do a skin that makes the system a pretty decent theatrical solution, even for shows that are not a good fit for our existing submaster and event list features.

Limitations:

Almost none. I have no problem with opinions and information (both good and bad) being openly shared. I only ask that, if you have a business relationship with another control system vendor, you disclose it to me.

Ideally I would like to find testers with a range of experience and equipment.

Along with the theatre skin, we're planning on doing a MIDI skin, a DJ skin, and a touchscreen skin as well. So, any experience in these areas it might be a plus.

Getting Started:

You can PM me on this forum, or you can email me at joe @ innovateshowcontrols.com (take out the spaces). Please put "THEATRE SKIN" in the subject line.

Thanks!

-jjf

Nice to see they have been working on a theatre skin - with this type of user interface, the product would be very useful - the version they sent me earlier in the year was really good - apart from running the cue list from a 'go' button - other than that, I was very impressed, and would urge people to take them up on their offer.

First, to everyone who has emailed me, PM'ed me, and even called me(!) I'm sorry I have not responded yet. I had only expected to get a couple of responses so I could get the ball rolling right after LDI. I will respond to everyone, but between the responses here, and the responses from a DJ forum on the DJ skin, I'm a little overwhelmed. I've skimmed quite a few of the emails and PM's and found a lot of similiar questions. In brief, here are some stock answers while I wade through the email:

Yes, it is the BlueLite X1. A fully functional version of the software can be downloaded from www.innovateshowcontrols.com. It includes the LivePanel with the original default (non specialized) skin. Even without hardware, you can connect to the Demo version of LewLight's Capture and run all 16 universes. Or, you could try the demo of ArKaos VJ DMX and directly control the 8 video layers and effects to get a feel for the system.

Demo mode (no hardware) does not work quite as well as with hardware, because of jitter in Windows multimedia timers, but it still gives a very fair representation of the software.

Yes, the product family has expanded. All 'flavors' use the same software, but there is now a mini (almost identical to the original X1, but plastic packaging and only one DMX-out), and an X1-exhibit (which is 8 universes standard and can run turnkey), as well as the original X1.

You can use up to four minis on one system (2048 channels), just like you can use four X1's (8192 channels), but you can't mix and match mini's and regular X1s (my fault).

Although I objected on principle, the X1-mini can be ordered with 3 pin XLRs. ;)

Yes, with the launch of the X1-exhibit, the pricing on the original X1 has been reduced.

Yes, the LDI show pricing mentioned on our web site is in effect now. I don't know if all dealers are honoring it, but I see it on our online store. I'm sorry, I don't know when that pricing ends, the person to ask is already enroute to Orlando. I am pretty sure I can get the same discount if testers want to keep their hardware, but I'll have to confirm.

One question that really surprised me - if it wasn't clear in my original post, no, you do not need to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Comment, complaints, suggestions, etc. are welcome to be public throughout the process. I don't know if the discussions would be of enough generic interest to be suitable for this forum, but Paulears can attest that we are all about open and no-strings-attached.

I will be sending out emails and getting the ball rolling this week, but won't be sending out any hardware until sometime next week (after LDI). With so many requests, I'm going to ask if I can expend the test pool by at least a couple of units but, again, the person I need to ask is flying to Orlando.

Thanks so much for the help, and I'm sorry I'm a little slow on the replies!

-jjf

I'm quite happy to confirm that their offer is all above board. I posted a fairly blunt post originally that said, I couldn't ever see a software based control being much use - I got a nice PM from Curtis Zavodny at Innovate, offering to send me one to play with. It arrived very quickly from the states, and I wrote it up for the ALD magazine. They didn't ask me to sign anything, or only report the positive attributes of the product - they just left me to it!

One thing to watch - it is NOT cheap to send the thing back to the states - I think I spent over £30 on the return post - AND it took forever to get there. They didn't make any fuss about this.

I don't often praise manufacturers - but Innovate seem very genuine, keen to help and.... as appears to have happened, actually take users views and incorporate some in revisions. This is not common.

Paul

Quick update:

I've got the OK for a couple extra systems. I'll try to get email out to all volunteers today and tomorrow and plan on sending out systems next week (after LDI).

Thanks so much for helping out!

-jjf

EDIT: Yet another update - I'm sorry, LDI suddenly had me buried. I still owe quite a few of you responses and will probably not be able to get hardware out until Friday. Thanks again to everyone who volunteered!

To all who have volunteered, I am sorry - I have really dropped the ball since Thursday. Part was LDI and part was other work 'fires' to extinguish.

I will still try to get ahold of everyone and get hardware out this week, or at least by Monday.

Thanks again for your help (and patience)!

-jjf

On a different note, quite a few people have written indicating that they have had trouble with our online store. I'm sorry, the store is supposedly now fixed. Because of the problems, the LDI show pricing is being extended, but I don't know for how long.

Also, quite a few UK users have purchased units (thank you very much!), and virtually every one has had trouble with credit card validation. Apparently it has something to do with the address validation system that the bank uses. I know they are working on it, but if you have trouble you can write to orders @ innovateshowcontrols.com (take out the spaces) and Felipe will get you squared away.

Archived