Fall Arrest

Steve Macluskie

The major points of the policies I have seen:

* All rigging/fall arrest items must be implemented and used by a trained rigger

* All equiptment must be thoroughly checked after every X uses or once every Y periods (which ever is first)

* All equiptment must be visually checked before each use

* All equiptment must be re-callibrated/tested/etc after any fall or strain is placed on the equiptment

* All points used in the fall arrest system must be correctly rated

Basically, the policies I have seen restate everything a trained rigger should know. Since UK appears to be far more competancy based, I would look at the Working At Height guidelines and regs (I am sure a blue-roomer can give you links/numbers/references) and there are a number of books on theatrical rigging (and rigging in general) which cover a lot of what you ask for.

You may find some useful leads on the homepage of the Industrial Rope Access Trade Association.

For rigging, you may also want to consider getting in touch with the peeps at Safe Working. Their head honcho, Mark Armstrong is a pioneer of good practice for working at height and is as well as running Safe Working, is head of Star Events rigging division.

Sorry I may have phrased my question badly

I am aware of current legislation and am IRATA trained

what I was looking for was specifically your unique rescue proceedure for your venue

whether ladder rescue or lowering the casualty by manual or automatic means, etc. etc.

Hope that clears up the question for more replies

Thanks to those who replied in good faith already

Steve

I would have to say that the exact methods are very much venue dependant. this is not a cop out merely that all sorts of systems are in place in many environments, and obviously circumstances vary. for example, a horizontal line and fall arrest is great on a truss, but only if you have other personnel and equipment in place to recover the poor sod hanging 3m below the truss! a little more information and can probably be of more use!

A little cynical, I know, but from research of the subject, I can say that apart from a few large venues and even fewer rigging companies, hardly anyone has addressed the issue with a satisfactory outcome.

Because the Work at Height Regs encourage the use of platforms, fall arrest will become less and less necessary (a good thing) and even though we may not like to admit it, it's only the time we are allowed or space that exists that prevents the use of platforms (access towers, 'scopes, etc.) in theatres and the like.

To use fall arrest with access equipment is unlikely to be generally necessary (imho) if the equipment is being used in its intended manner.

If you feel fall arrest is necessary when using access equipment, the equipment in qusetion is perhaps not being used appropriately?

The rescue question is without doubt a legal requirement since the hazards in non-recovery of a fallen person are significant.

A rare occurrence, but I think Steve's point is one that many venues really need to think about. If you don't use fall arrest, you don't need to worry about it. I believe work restraint or work positioning is the way forward. I have just been through this precise process with one of the leading UK theatres and start this week on the same process with a leading rigging company who have identified particular recovery problems in using temporary horizontal lines in a building.

Thanks Damien and Chris for your recent replies

My post is a theoretical fact finding mission rather than a specific request for information.

I'm just interested to see if people have written rescue plans?, does this lead to an increase staff in attendance while rigging?, how is the information in the rescue plan disseminated among staff?, did you need to buy any extra equipment? Do you plan to raise or lower a fallen colleague to safety? etc.etc.

I suppose the big question is, If you are using a fall arrest system for your work, Do you have a rescue plan?

Any replies gratefully recieved.

Steve

I think as chris says the order of the day to prevent the need for items like fall arrest in the first place, and if those reasons are not surmountable then fall arrest is a final option.

as regards rescue, then obviously some routine etc must be in place to deal with any occurrences. that said, this does not neccessarily mean more people, as long as the people there are in sufficient number to provide support, and are sufficiently trained to do so.

A lot of the questions regarding staffing and equipment etc should become apparent when producing method statement and RA for the venue. this also then ties in with staff awareness etc with procedures hopefully already in place.

Rescue plan is either generic where fall arrest is used for a particular task - a policy and method statement, or dynamic and done on an hour by hour basis as required.

Rescue plan is based on a risk assessment.

Rescue involving least risk is always first choice - powered access is an obvious one where available, 'snatch' rescue is last choice, for example.

Plan is checked as relevant as part of 'morning prayers' at the start of a job/session. There will probably be several layers and several methods for various areas.

A 'tool box talk' is how to ensure the plan(s) are understood and known to all. This will agree/specify the plan for the day, the area (it may change during the day/session/contract) or the task. Any kit or plant required, keys, communications, etc. can be ironed out at the same time.

Only my take on it, but successfully used in lots of venues I have been involved with. Generally, everyone involved has an interest and a part to play. In my experience, far from it being 'all too much safety guff', it has been warmly welcomed, the information on, for example, suspension trauma gratefully received and all in all a team building experience.

Archived