A Door...

BethB

Hi.

I've currently been roped into making props for the Christmas Entertainment at my school and the Directors are very "imaginative" with a very small budget... I've managed to make them see sense on the practicality of some of said ideas but they are particularly adamant that they want a door.

They have told me it needs to have two sides (what door doesn't!)

That it needs to, preferably, be on wheels (with brakes :) for some reason)

And that it mustn't swing open and shut when onstage.

I know that it needs to be light and quite cheap... under £80 if possible and I have no idea quite what I'm doing.

Any ideas on how to go about this would be appreciated and are needed!

Thank you.

Gb xox

With £80, you should not have any problems. I've worked on bigger things with not much more.

Once the door hits it's mark on stage, does it remain there? Or does it move around during the performance?

Building a frame around whatever sized door you need, with legs 90degrees to the door will give it some stability and a catch lock will keep the door shut when it's not in use. The brakes are a preventative measure to simply stop it moving I'm guessing.

What size and will it have a lot of traffic?

Lee

Thank you for the supports thought!

In answer to your questions; it will be moved around a lot during the performance. From FOC to the side-stage, along the catwalk; pretty much everywhere because the director wants it to be where one of the characters is at all times. We were looking about today and I think we'd need something about 78" x 33" but it's not definite... That would be a normal size and the suggestion that has arisen was to have a comedy door that was 'just that bit too small' so the characters would have to squeeze through it; but I don't know what they're really thinking about that at the moment.

Thanks.

Gb xox

We have a great one at school thats been made a while ago, but its been used loads and is still going!. its a standard door frame, with a base going infront and behind it and small angle peices to keep it ridged its all on wheels that are inset into the base so it all lies flush on the ground. it moves reasonable quietly and it needs concious effort to move it, so you cant just knock it by mistake and it goes flying across the room!! I will try and get a picture.

Simon

Archived