Old newspapers

AnnalisaC

what I have done in the past is get hold of some newsprint (newspaper printers usually have ends-of-rolls with quite a lot left on at the end of the print-run, source original newspapers, (we went to the local newspaper archive in South Devon for the right title, then photocopied articles and headlines from the right period (1950s)) then photocopy on to the newsprint carefully cut up to A2 size and folded in half to fit in the photocopier. Hand-fed twice to get both sides, and many paper jams later, this gave us an old newspaper with the right paper weight to it and almost the right size - (tabloid is not quite A3) broadsheets are a bit harder. some of the audience were less than 6 feet away, and they were convinced it was a genuine 45 year old newspaper in pristine condition.

when I say the past, I mean in the pre PC / Publisher / scanner / Quark / Photoshopdays. now you could do quite easily what we spent hours doing as a cut and paste with real scissors and pritt-stick job. All you need to do then is find someone with a large (A1 or A0) plotter who will let you load it with your newsprint you've scrounged from the printers.

Archived