Rigging Truss

Firewood1

many apologies, not concentrating!

on the subject (trying to hide error!!) they aren't too hard to move about really. trick is to not have all the chain in the bag/hanging off the hoist, which then takes off 30/40kg of chain from what you are humping along a catwalk! with 2 people doing the moving/rehanging etc they are absolutely fine. moved enough to know!

A little :mods:

This is going to come as a very random question something I should know, but having been spoilt with the likes of Vertigo I have never needed to know....

People say unlike chain hoists the motor is not needed at a large height, so my question to you all is how is the motor/chain rigged at such height then???

Sorry for the stupid question.....

Maybe this was to do with 'stingers' - when (typically) a steel is used to lengthen a (motor down) chain so a shorter chained motor can be rigged to a roof point whilst the motor is still in the case. Trusses quite often do not need to climb more than 10 - 15m and as such it is easier to hang them this way. (15m motor chain plus 10m steel = 25m rigging point)

Only when rental companies needed to stock motors capable of being used in arenas, theatres, on ground support, etc., did we end up with 20 - 30m chains. It is easier to run a fleet that way.

In the old days, grump, 50 foot motor chains (a foot is about the same as 30.5cms, but a lot easier to visualise...) were the norm at L&SD, for example, for that very reason.

Grump ends.

Are big motors/Lodestars a big heavy to heft around catwalks etc?

That's why! They're not exactly something you pick up in one hand.....Unless your a BIG burly rigger. But as mentioned above wit htwo it becomes easier. I can lift the motor, and then drag the chain, but that isn't a)good for my back and b)good for the chain.

Archived