You could try looking at the PLASA Training listing for a good starting point.

As far as UCAS goes: (in no particular order!)

-RWCMD (in Cardiff) - BA (Hons) Stage Management. 3 years.

-Rose Bruford (in Kent) - BA (Hons) Lighting Design. 3 years.

-LIPA (in Liverpool) - BA (Hons) Theatre & Performance Technology. 3 years.

-QMUC (in Edinburgh) - BA (Hons) Stage Management & Theatre Production. 4 years.

-Derby - BSc (Hons) Sound, Light and Live Event Technology. 3 years. 4 years with foundation year.

-CSSD (in London) - BA (Hons) Theatre Practice. 3 years.

-Bretton Hall (part of the University of Leeds) - BA Performance Design and Production. 3 years.

-Amersham & Wycombe College - 2 year HND "Performing Arts: Technical Theatre

Non UCAS: (in no particular order!)

-Bristol Old Vic - Diploma in Professional Studies (Professional Stage Management). 2 years.

BA Professional Stage Management. 3 years.

-RSAMD (Glasgow) - BA (Technical and Production Arts). 3 years.

-Guildhall (London) - BA (Hons) Stage Management and Technical Theatre. 3 years.

-Guildford School of Acting (Surrey) - School of Production. 2 year dipolma. 1 year BA extension.

-Mountview (London) - BA (Hons) Technical Theatre. 2 years.

-LAMDA (London) - Stage Management and Technical Theatre Course. 2 years.

Its also worth checking out Conference of Drama Schools, the representative body for the leading drama schools in the UK - its very useful, but bear in mind that only accredited courses are listed. The courses are accredited by the NCDT, which has some useful information on their website regarding careers.

All of these offer technical courses, although they range from very theory based (Derby) to vocational courses... it depends a lot on what your aims are, which uni is best for you, and how you get on at interview.

Interviews

Of all the courses I applied to, only one didn't want me for interview, and gave me an instant offer. Be prepared to work hard for interview - RSAMD and QMUC both require you to build a scale model of a set design for a specific script, CSSD want you to research a photo and Mountview make you rig lights or set out a props table from a photo, whilst at interview. RWCMD and Rose Bruford just ask you to bring a portfolio of work, which can include programmes, designs, prompt copies, etc. At LIPA, you spend most of the day doing group based activities and then have a interview towards the end. It is also worth noting that most of the institutions will ask you about a performance you've seen recently.

Good Luck

Peter Kirkup

Student at RWCMD

This FAQ has been created with the help of various members. If you have had a different experience, or wish to add something, PM me and I'll sort it out.

Archived