Which School

I want to do a BA in stage management/tech theatre. I was just wondering if any body has any vies on guildhall or CSSD or others. As I got to apply soon (2004 entry) and want as much info as poss!

Thanks

Lee :** laughs out loud **:

I was just wondering if any body here has any general views, My main area is stage management and after doing some work expeirence at Bombay Dreams and Fame, its confirmed I want to go into it. I have visited guildhall and think the course and facilities are brillant. I am going to visit CSSD on their open day in September. So if any one has any views either on the courses, its content, the student life etc then please post. I just want to have as much info as I can!

Thanks again :** laughs out loud **:

This is something that comes up quite often, so if you have a look back through this forum, you'll probably find a lot more info. The answer kind of depends on who you are and what you want.

Do you want something exclusively stage management based? Do you want somewhere in London or elsewhere? Do you care about whether its a degree or diploma? Do you want something that covers all disciplines? Do you have any preference about going to a big busy place or a smaller, quieter uni?

I'd suggest that if you want something thats fairly general then Guildhall or LIPA would be good. If you already have a pretty good basis in all areas, then you might want something a bit more specific like at Central or Bruford.

Hope this helps

As an Old RADA boy... I must say take a look at the RSAMD ( :** laughs out loud **: ooops sorry RADA - but things have change a great deal since 1983) course in Glasgow..... seem to be turning out some fab people from up there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there,

Just an update, had my interview for Guildhall about 3 weeks ago and found out on wednesday I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the place where I really wanted to go and I am!!!!!

Thanks again

Lee :blink: :** laughs out loud **: :) :) :o

• 3 weeks later...
I was reasonably impressed with Rose Brufords Stage management course (well, once they get through the first 'dogs body' year).Sensible production budgets and professional style communication - in the planning and pre-production phases - they even have a production office for the SM team. I was not at all impressed with the lighting side of things. I (and a colleague) got the firm to pay for tickets to their symposium. A visiting lighting designer brought in his avo desk, hot from a music tour. The intention was to compare it to the uni's Strand 500. The snag was none of the second year students actually knew how to work it - and they gave up when he asked them any "how would you do this on a strand?" style questions. Groups and moving light control seemed unknown. very odd! They seemed to have generics sorted - The opera I saw was well designed lighting wise (a final year student, I was told).

A visiting lighting designer brought in his avo desk, hot from a music tour. The intention was to compare it to the uni's Strand 500. The snag was none of the second year students actually knew how to work it - and they gave up when he asked them any "how would you do this on a strand?" style questions. Groups and moving light control seemed unknown. very odd! They seemed to have generics sorted - The opera I saw was well designed lighting wise (a final year student, I was told).

I was there, and yes it was a tad embarassing! It just happened that there was nobody around who had had training on the desk at that point in the year. The syposium in general was one huge balls up, and probably not a fair comparison.

In terms of professional training, I'd probably suggest that the LX course has a bit of an edge over the Stage Damagement course. Not that you heard that from me of course :unsure:.

And where did you get the idea that we get 'sensible' production budgets to play with?! :** laughs out loud **:

And where did you get the idea that we get 'sensible' production budgets to play with?!  :unsure:

Anyone who has enough to buy props from IKEA and build a timber floor must have money - rumour has it that the floor went down, then the circle was cut with a saw - Mu experience is that production budgets, no matter how big, get spent and RB seem to allocate it more than some places I've heard of.

I may (or may not) have an 'inside source', but I'm heading into deep water here.....

It's a shame the symposium was a shambles - but to be honest, the only people I saw doing anything were the people on the course - no staff seemed involved at all!

Archived