Jem Glaciator

sam.henderson

Hi

Used one of these in a production of JCS, very large output, easily affected by the slightest breeze though, had a different effect from it every night.

Overall really nice machine, takes a while to find the correct location to place it but its worth it, put it in as many places as possible and see which looks best, also work out all possible draft areas, doors windows, make sure they are all closed before you use the effect.

Don't know about the fluids though.

HTH

Josh

Never used them personally, but seen them used on a number of gigs where production didn't want to pay for LSG's or similar, so got the lampies to supply these. I've yet to see them work well! The smoke seems to be very thin and nowhere near cold enough to hug the ground. Sounds like the previous poster has had a bit more luck with them than I have observed.

Used one last summer, excellent machines, however as Josh states very reactive to slight breezes.

I also had an issue with the heat on stage which was making the smoke rise at a very rapid rate.

Very large machine... careful location planning a must!

Also used one of these before, quite different and needed an endless stock of ice cubes! Quite effective though.

Ben.

Sorry... learning as I go

Antari

Moderation Note: Broken WWW link removed. Posts also merged, please use the EDIT facility when adding information to your post.

Just to second the comments about the size of the machine - its big!

It also needs a 32A single phase supply.

Marc

EDIT:

If you were at this year's ABTT, there was one on display at the Martin stand. I was interested in hiring one for Edinburgh, but in the end we went with real dry ice & a Le Maitre Pea Souper.

It also needs a 32A single phase supply.

Check with the hire company on that one - we had one from PRG (Greenford) last year with a 32A 3 phase connection...

The effect is frothier than dry ice - you do need to spend some time experimenting with multiple outlet positions, as it moves fast and doesn't blend across the stage so easily.

It's much more easily swept up by cast moving on stage:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/6009/glaciator0ce.th.jpg

The actress is only about 5' tall, but even so...

Archived