Foam Rack drawer insert

Scouse Dave

Hi Gang

I am putting a small radiomic rack together and want to have a rack drawer in which to keep Mics & cables (Just a couple of jack leads and (probably) a power cable.

I would like to have the mics in foam compartments, as the only alternative I can think of is a zipped pouch - they will get knocked around a lot more that way...

Where could I buy a foam block which I could cut out the relevant holes for the mics and will stand up to frequent use?

Cheers

Dave M

as my radiomic receivers are rack-mounted, I ended up with a lot of attache cases with one fag packet - sized mic pack in each one - a bit of a waste of space. so I put my 8 mic packs into two of the cases, then bought foam inserts from jessops photographic - these are partially cut into one centimetre cubes so you can quite easily remove the required amount of foam. I now have cases for my walkie-talkies and my pyro controller at very little extra cost - the foam was about £7 per case. It's a bit softer than I'd ideally like - if you get 5-star to make you some inserts, they will use really nice high density foam. But it does the job allright.

Or go to your local foam and ruber shop with a plan for the foam - they will often cut it out for you. I know my local 'pool/foam/ruber' shop would charge about $10 for a bit of hd foam with the holes cut out. The hire place I hired 4 radio mics from had their foam custom cut, using four layers of really high density foam. The bottom was whole, the next one up had a cable recess, the one above that had the beltclip recess and the rest of the cable recess, then there was the main beltpack cutout. It worked really well, all four fit nicely into the one case with their lav mic in the cable well underneath it's beltpack.

Some may even be able to use a cad file with the templates.

5-star as mentioned above by someone else can certainly custom - cut inserts from CAD files. They used to have a picture on their website of the inserts they made for the Met's rapid response unit's equipment. (doesn't seem to be on the website any more). but HERE is said website.

Archived