Splitters for Birdies...

Stu

Dear All.

We currently have a tour doing it's productions weeks here, and I'm making up some Birdies for them to go out on the tour. They have 6 birdies (50w) being paired into 3 transformers (105vac). The actual birdies themselves are no issue, and have got XLR3s on them, but I need to make up some splitters and I'm not really prepared to bodge up XLR3 splitters by shoving 2x0.75mm bits of cable into the plug end.

So, my question is, what would be a good connector to use for this application? I've been thinking about Wiedland ST16s, would these take 2x cables safetly in the gland? I'd only need 3 of each, as I'll be putting XLR3s onto the socket end of the splitter to go to the birdies.

From what I've read on this site it would seem this is the way forward, especially as it mentions a distribution box. As long as whatever option that is best is neat and tidy I don't mind, as it will be sitting right DS.

I can see them on the RS site, but only the plugs and distribution modules. I presume there is a socket version out there somewhere ;)

Any suggestions welcome (but not any that involved le bodge!).

Cheers,

Stu

I'd go with Rob's method of tranny per birdie, then split using grelcos, unless space is an issue. or is there room to attach two x XLRs in parallel to the output of the birdie, rather than forcing the 2 cables into one XLR? (of course this doesn't work with those lovely cylindrical pre-wired jobbies....)

my (rather excessive) solution to wiring 6 birdies into one transformer was to buy a 1U rack panel with holes for panel-mount XLR sockets, and build a patch bay inside a flightcase. It's somewhat over-engineered, but it does mean the transformers are well-protected and easily transportable.

I can see them on the RS site, but only the plugs and distribution modules. I presume there is a socket version out there somewhere  :blink:

When I first looked I wondered if the plug and socket are the same, as the first sentence seems to imply, and is sort of backed up by the looks of the design of the distribution unit.
The combination between male and female connector and a connector element reduces the handling of the gesis ST16 system to a minimum of basic elements. The mechanical coding of its connector elements guarantees an overall safety against wrong plugging.

But then the next sentence seems to possibly exclude this.

The mechanical coding of its connector elements guarantees an overall safety against wrong plugging.
So really I'm none the wiser but that might be the case.

PN

I think I might have the solution - we have some white MK 30A terminal boxes left over from a gallery exhibition, which will allow upto 2x4mm2 cables so should be ok for what I need! As the birdies are being mounted on a long batten (which gets screwed down the length of the DS edge of the set) I can have them sitting inconspicously at certain points to feed each pair of birdies.

Cheers,

Stu

PS. They'll look even better when I've made them black!

actually now you mention this, I've used this method before, except I still paired up on the mains side rather than the 12V side of the transformers. But it's certainly a tidy solution. I had a bit of 18mm ply (18" x 12") with the trannies and terminal boxes screwed down onto it just behind the pros and ran the XLR low voltage cables (NOT mic cables- white 1.5mm 2-core flex))out to the birdies being used for footlights. Thus the trannies were kept out of sight. Arguably you lose a few lumens from voltage loss in the 12V cable over a few metres, but in practice this didn't make any real difference.

strangely enough, we are about to revive the show I made these up for, but I'd completely forgotten until I read your post, Stu....

Archived