Going from a lampy to a Technical Manager

After many years of being a resident chief lx - and assisting the tech manager, to being the av technician and running a 600 seat multipurpose theatre - planetarium on a brand new ship to then going on tour as production electrician and finally becoming lighting designer for the tour.

I am now leaving the tour and becoming the technical manager in a 1000 seat theatre and wondered if anyone had any useful advice before I make this transition across.

I know what everone is saying! WHY!. Answer - I Just want to go back to what I do best - true theatre.!

Strikes me that if you've already done many years of assisting the tech manager at your old venue, you'll not need a great deal in the way of advice to step into those shoes for real.

Whereabout is your new venue? Anywhere interesting?

South Coast. Cant say where yet as nothing is official and the details haven't been released even to the crew. So until it all becomes official I cant say but I will. Yes, I may have done the assisting, but there was probably 1000 other jobs that I didn't do! Hardest part is that I never been a manager having to manage budgets and 5 full time staff and building h&s etc.! so little scary.

My general rule is make friends with the cook and caretaker first as they run the world! B-) Next on my list is the local licencing officer and don't be afraid of asking their advice.

Archived