Projector Light Path Cleaning

Mark Payne

Interesting day today.

At Sound Foundation are Christie Digital Partners/Resellers but we have never taken on internal maintenance of the projector optics.... Always been a bit scary.

Anyway, today Craig and I recieved our training at Christie UK on LX series LCD maintenance.

We had one of our own LX100's as a guinea pig. The LCD panels, filters, polarisers, and prism surfaces were all contaminated with guess what...?.... Hazer oil deposits (bloody lampies..... opps.... that was us also!).

Cleaning all the surfaces took us about 4 hours and then converging the three panels to within 0.25 of a pixel took another 2 hours. Its a b of a job.

So a word or advice, point your smoke machines away from your projectors!

If you have LX series Christie LCDs that are full of garbage... we can now help you!

Cheers

Mark

snip

We had one of our own LX100's as a guinea pig. The LCD panels, filters, polarisers, and prism surfaces were all contaminated with guess what...?.... Hazer oil deposits (bloody lampies..... opps.... that was us also!).

snip

Cheers

Mark

This has been a problem with LCD projectors from the beginning. I can remember building isolation boxes out of scaff and visquene and using air handlers to blow clean air on the projectors in high hazer environments. The water cooled Panasonics look interesting because the optical path is sealed. You are right, it is a major undertaking to clean the LCD panels.

Mac

Hey Tim

These 6 projectors were mentioned to us!

No company names but the example was given.

I am not sure that this problem is Christie (and obviously Sanyo) specific.

They all suck and blow!

We are starting to think about filters etc.

Cheers

M

We've pretty much given up using Christie for big shows since we got the cleaning bill for 6 brand new L6's in a room with 3 DF50 for a two weeks!

Still don't fancy doing it myself though.

Tim

Hi Mark

Yes our 2 were a little bit crackered and one of them seemed to have had a argument with a forklift while being air freighted back from South America.

If you don't mind me asking how much was the training? We are also Christie Dealers and the amount we pay to have them cleaned several times a year it may well be worth training a few people up.

Doug

Hi Mark

Yes our 2 were a little bit crackered and one of them seemed to have had a argument with a forklift while being air freighted back from South America.

If you don't mind me asking how much was the training? We are also Christie Dealers and the amount we pay to have them cleaned several times a year it may well be worth training a few people up.

Doug

Doug you have a PM

Archived