PCM Loadstar Info

owaring

Hi there,

I'm trying to build myself a light weight, get out of jail pickle for use with 1 and 2 tonne Loadstars. First I need to find out a couple of things before I can select suitable components.

Mainly I need to know pin out for the Control 110v Cee form, and what voltage the motors use for control via 110v cee form (I ask because I'm led to belive it is not 110v, nearer 10-15v).

I have done quite a few google searches and a fair bit of trawling the pcm site but to no avail.

Advance thanks in this matter.

I can not remember the pin out off the top of my head, but the one tonne that I repaired the other day definitely had a 110v control system. You are partly correct though as there are some out there with a lower control voltage.

andrew

"Perhaps the OP wants to build one that can control all of them from one box? "

He'll be building a motor controller not a pickle then... All Lodestars with LV control use the same switching system. If you are using Direct Control units then you need a controller to switch the order of phases that the motor receives in order to run it upwards or downwards

Thanks for the reply guys,

Indeed I could easily buy a pickle from pcm but there are a bit cumbersome to be carrying around just as a get outta jail (I'm a sound tech not rigger)

Whereas I have found some MK 110v Cee plugs which at 115mm x 63mm is a lot easier to carry about in my ever full tk.

I'm guessing the simplest pin out is likely to be a pin for up/down/common. I guess they will be +ve/-ve/earth. Best bet for this is probably to strip down a pickle and do some metering.

As for voltage all my components are rated to 240vac (apart from the cee form at 130vac) so I should be more than safe. The only thing that I would definitely need confirmation on is the current the control voltage is likely to draw.

Thanks for the continued help,

Have made lot's of these's

Use a minium of a 5amp switch Maplins /RS

Control voltage can be memory serves between 10v and 120v dependent on what type of transformer is fitted and where you are in the world

standard pin out for 4 pin is/ Phase1 UP/ Phase2 Down / Phase 3 Common/ Earth is Earth ( this should be present in all hoists, Controllers and cable manufactured sinces the reg change to 4 pin control)

As for 3pin /Live up / neutral Down / Earth common / this does vary

Sorry to be the proverbial fly in the ointment here, but unless you are qualified in assembling electrical components you need to be very, very careful here.

If there was any issue with the hoist and control the manufacturer would wash their hands of any liability due to you using an unauthorised part. Also there are machinary directive issues here as you are in effect manufacturing a piece of equipment.

My suggestion would be to contact someone who makes these (I can recommend talking to LTM in Liverpool or Tomcat in the same place).

Its a very dodgy area and for the little that it costs to buy one, I wouldn't want to be putting my arse on the line.

If your struggling for names PM me and Ill pass a few contacts on to you. The good news is it should be a fairly cheap solution.

Okay, here it is straight from the horses mouth...(I am CM's European Sales Manager):

Firstly PCM are one of our distributors. The hoists are called CM Lodestars.....Sorry but you wouldn't believe how much that winds me up!

Our French distributor, Sonoss, make a pickle that is basically just the cee-form connector with a rocker switch on it (with a couple of LEDs for indication). You can't get smaller than that!

I think that LTM, TOMCAT & PCM can supply if needed.

If you really want to make your own then this is the link to the correct pin-out:

http://www.psa.org.uk/CM%20Connector%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

However as Martin says unless you are qualified please leave well alone.

If you need any further info. then drop me a line on adrian.black@cmworks.com.

Cheers,

Ade

Hi there,

I'm trying to build myself a light weight, get out of jail pickle for use with 1 and 2 tonne Loadstars. First I need to find out  a couple of things before I can select suitable components.

Mainly I need to know pin out for the Control 110v Cee form, and what voltage the motors use for control via 110v cee form (I ask because I'm led to belive it is not 110v, nearer 10-15v).

I have done quite a few google searches and a fair bit of trawling the pcm site but to no avail.

Advance thanks in this matter.

I am John Jones at LTM- the standard Pickle is £15.00 ex works plus VAT, withb 1m of cable and a 4 piin cee form to plug into the Lodestar. Any use?

Archived