Wardrobe Supervisor/ASM

w/robe

In The Stage today a theatre in Suffolk is advertising for a 'Wardrobe/Costume Supervisor, will also undertake ASM duties as required'.

I've known ASM/dresser, ASM/Wardrobe maintainance and even on one memorable occasion ASM/dresser/laundress/flyman/crew chief, but that is another story.

I think however that the combination of HOD in one department also being the junior member of another is a bit odd. I'm sure that no experienced Supervisor that I know would be happy to take the post and I wondered how Stage Managers felt about it. I have over the years worked with some very good 'career' ASM's but I don't think any of them had enough costume knowledge or skill to supervise a show.

I could find no details of the post on the theatre's web site so I do not know any more details such as wether they are paying Wardrobe Supervisor wages or ASM wages.

I've come across the reverse of this situation before - i.e. an ASM carrying out wardrobe duties on a small-scale tour where there isn't the budget (or workload) to employ a separate wardrobe person. But I've never heard of a wardrobe supervisor being asked to carry out ASM duties ...

. an ASM carrying out wardrobe duties on a small-scale tour where there isn't the budget (or workload) to employ a separate wardrobe person.

This does happen all the time. I'm supervising a show at the moment that will go to Edinburgh and then tour for 3 months, but stage management are being Wardrobe Mistress/Master, they are not organising the creation of the costumes from a Designers designs.

Just to reassure andy-s, (who I start work for on 5/9) I was not really looking at the jobs page!

Usually the ASM duties will only extend to during performances.

I think this must be a British/Australian difference as in Britain, as a Wardrobe Supervisor, I would not expect to be at every performance. In most of my work I finish with a company at the end of the opening night. I sometimes get contacted during the run of a show if something goes wrong and then decide wether to make an additional charge for the extra work, though usually I would not charge as I see it as an investment in getting the next job.

I don't normally post in this section, but wardrobe often end up doing the wrong things - last panto, the wardrobe mistress (she was happy with that title) was asked to make costumes because the ones supplied didn't fit. She did, but out of goodwill, not contractual. People will do what they are comfy with. If an ASM has a costume responsibility too - it's effectively a job share/job merge post. If all parties are happy, I don't see it as a problem. I tried to get wardrobe to pre-fit foy harnesses to save time - just leaving the checking for me to do, but they weren't happy with that at all - so I did it all. Wasn't a problem.

Since Francis Reid's days at the Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds, they have always been known as a budget conscious venue. Not a bad thing if applied sensibly.

. an ASM carrying out wardrobe duties on a small-scale tour where there isn't the budget (or workload) to employ a separate wardrobe person.

This does happen all the time. I'm supervising a show at the moment that will go to Edinburgh and then tour for 3 months, but stage management are being Wardrobe Mistress/Master, they are not organising the creation of the costumes from a Designers designs.

Just to reassure andy-s, (who I start work for on 5/9) I was not really looking at the jobs page!

that'll be a pint by way of reassurance then....

• 2 weeks later...
Have done it the other way around being asm and looking after wardrobe but only on a very small scale production when there isn't a lot to do and not enough money to employ another person. haven't heard of wardrobe looking after asm duties though but I suppose if anyone is applying for the job it's just a case of finding out in advance exactly what you're expected to do. don't want to get lumped with too much stuff you've no interest in.

• 3 months later...

I have ASMed and Dressed on shows but never seen a member of Stage Management also be the 'Wardrobe Supervisor' that would be complelty out of the training of a SM/ DSM/ ASM I would imagine.

Sam

Edit: Appologies for oppening up a really old thread with not much interesting to say!! I was just browsing and forogt that it was not a recent thread- sorry! S

I have ASMed and Dressed on shows but never seen a member of Stage Management also be the 'Wardrobe Supervisor' that would be complelty out of the training of a SM/ DSM/ ASM I would imagine.

Happens quite regularly in touring mid scale plays, especially if they are on a budget. It might not be part of the training, but sometimes these things have to be done - and in todays modern world of multi-skilling, even more so. The wardrobe requirements might not amount to much, but someone has to do it and if a company isn't willing to pay for a seperate, solely Wardrobe Supervisor then it will get dumped on someone else, and a ASM or similar is the regular candidate it seems to me.

€0.02 from a recieving house lampie....

Stu

I didn't realise that many Wardrobe Supervisors actually toured with the show, I thought they were more pre-production and they oversaw the making, buying and altering of the costumes up until the 1st night when the Wardrobe Misstress/ Master took over?? Anyone know if this is correct??

Sam

I didn't realise that many Wardrobe Supervisors actually toured with the show, I thought they were more pre-production and they oversaw the making, buying and altering of the costumes up until the 1st night when the Wardrobe Misstress/ Master took over?? Anyone know if this is correct??

Sam

Yes this is correct (and the reason I started the thread).

I never tour with shows I've supervised, (the reason for climbing the greasy pole up the department is so that you don't do the ironing any more) on some shows there is a wardrobe mistress/master and on others an ASM who looks after washing and maintenance.

That is why I can sit here on the BR while the Wardrobe Mistress is upstairs looking after this afternoons performance.

Archived