safety chains Vs saftey wires.

Kristian

• 3 weeks later...
You have to be pedantic with Health and Safety, if you're not someone else will be and land you in a large cow pat.

that was a tactful way of putting it!

anyway, moving away from bovine excretions... I need to buy loads of safeties for the school iv just started working at (which doesnt have enough for its lights... hmm) so obviously im looking to get bonds rather than chains if only to save my own a*s in the future. can't find anywhere cheap to get rated bonds though. we have a few speakers mounted on the ceiling as well which need safeties, so I need ones that will take 30kg for those and the lights are all under 15kg. any ideas for where to get them quite cheap / 2nd hand?

thanks

Tim

What do you determine to be cheap though?

SLX (for instance) will charge £3.69 for a 5kg, £6.51 for a 10kg and £12.40 for a 35kg... I'm afraid there is no cheap way of doing this, anyway it's best to spend a few quid now and do it properly then have to pay lots more if you got sued...

Stu

As Stu said, may as well pay it mate - I just put 20 bonds into a club, and with carriage on top of the price, it came to nearly £90 for 10 x 10Kg and 10 x 15Kg. That's not including the brackets and screws etc...

Yeah it costs a bit, but I'd rather pay that, than be sued (even if insurance covered it - still not nice)

Jay

You have to be pedantic with Health and Safety, if you're not someone else will be and land you in a large cow pat.

that was a tactful way of putting it!

anyway, moving away from bovine excretions... I need to buy loads of safeties for the school iv just started working at (which doesnt have enough for its lights... hmm) so obviously im looking to get bonds rather than chains if only to save my own a*s in the future. can't find anywhere cheap to get rated bonds though. we have a few speakers mounted on the ceiling as well which need safeties, so I need ones that will take 30kg for those and the lights are all under 15kg. any ideas for where to get them quite cheap / 2nd hand?

thanks

Tim

Tim,

Do not buy second hand bonds, you do not know their history. Stage electrics buy their bonds from a company called rope assemblies, who are a very good company. another company worth checking out, (if they are still going...) is splicing and allied, based in Slough, who neg earth have used in the past, and offer quality and value for money. On the subject of screwgate carabiners, if your lamps are hanging in the same place for more than 3 days at a time, in my opinion, I would reccommed the use of these. Especially if there is a risk of any mechanical/vibrational force working them loose. (Anything from moving bars to lift shafts nearby).

Note to the wise: the weakest link in a lamp, apart from the hookclamp, is the attachment of the lamphead to the yoke! saftey the lamp, not the yoke. any half quality lamp will have a bond point on the body of the lamphead. (the big heavy bit that will do the most damage).

Hope this helps.

K.

I don't believe that there is a date where you have to change secondary support from chains to other bonds. However I believe that suppliers are not supposed to sell saftey chains with lanterns - they should be bonds.

AFAIK, the whole issue of chains versus steel wire rope safety bonds came from an investigation by Rope Assemblies into the testing of safety chains. In their tests, the bent over tail connecting the clip to the end of the chain failed at an alarmingly small load.

Users of roundslings might like to note that, acording to the yellow book, only non-combustible suspensions are permitted for lighting bars.

If you read the threads from June this year, and no matter how many times in the past few years, you will find all this information over and over again.

Bonds are specified in standards, there is no law.

Crue hooks were a problem in testing, they failed before the chains.

If you want to be absolutely precise and use best practice use the standard, details can be found on the ABTT and PLASA websites, I believe.

• 2 months later...

Archived