Fan needed for QSC RMX 2450 amplifier

ChrisC

We have an amp rack which has worked for about 8 years in a dusty environment (the inside of a pipe organ - don't ask!); the fan on one of our amps is sluggish probably due to a clogged bearing, so if driven hard the amp will thermally cut in and out.  I think it's worth replacing the fan, rather than trying to lubricate it with WD40 or similar.

Using Google only locates QSC parts suppliers in North America, and the QSC website isn't particularly helpful.  Anyone know of a franchised parts supplier in the UK?

Failing that, the Fullcompass website in the US shows the picture of a replacement fan (under the correct QSC part number MS-000138-GP) as a rather cheap looking "Superred CHA8024EBN-K"; I can order this direct from China via ebay UK for about £14 inc shipping, which doesn't fill me with confidence as to its quality and longevity.    I haven't stripped down the amplifier chassis yet to to confirm if this is what is installed; I suspect for this cost it's a simple sleeve bearing.

Has anyone changed fans in this or any other QSC RMX series amplifiers, and could share their experiences?

Many thanks

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

its a high speed 80x25 fan, a good quality one with a similar wattage and airflow will be fine, such as a sanyo, panasonic, papst or NMB.  At one time Rapid Electronics did the identical one, branded as Xinruilian X-Fan, but I prefer NMB or Sanyo.

If you can access farnell or RS then I can look up the equivalent part number rather than paying OEM prices.

You'll probably be shocked how much dust these things suck into the heatsink tunnel so a good blow out is an idea once you've removed the old fan.

Often an RMX that has been thermally cycling will have blown or vented bus capacitors. Check them for domed tops or them sitting at a seemingly jaunty angle off the pcb. These would need changing too.

Edited by KevinE