LED fixture colour matching

Oscah

Just a quick question, im obsessing over trying to find matching LED cans to fill out the existing rig, particularly because I want a good colour match when I program them all together, are my worries unfounded though?  I have 2 differing fixtures that colour match quite well (cant see the difference) using the palletes on a FLX desk, should I assume this is unlikely to be an issue?  im not familiar with standardisation or "indexing" or rgb if thats a thing.

thanks

It's one of those "It depends" questions. Depending on the colours, you may find different fixtures are close enough, but not always. To take an extreme example, there's no way that a budget "bowl of M&Ms" RGB par can will match say a colorsource PAR on very much at all, let alone subtle shades like gold tints, pale blues, straws, pinks, even whites will look off. But it's entirely possible that, especially at the less expensive end of the market, different manufacturers will have bought in the same emitters and just packaged them differently (sometimes even just bought in entire fixtures and badged them) so they'll be close. 

• Upvote 1

There are differences but as the LED's age you will get more so. Personally I've never found it a problem as so rarely projecting onto an empty set with all white walls etc. Even the soft talent will be wearing clothes I assume and every surface type reflects colour differently. How do you cope with different skin tones?

Back in the day, filters burned thin and let more light through. Didn't change them every show.  If you really need a hotspot or two to be identical, use same type and age of fixture onto the same surface. I would stop obsessing and remember that theatre is about 'suspension of disbelief' in the audience. You are sketching a picture in their minds, not trying to create reality. To get an absolutely even mix you need each unit exactly the same difference from the target, hitting at the same angle. Even then the beam from next door unit will encroach.  

• Upvote 1