Robe moving lights

Stu

Reports coming back from people hiring them are saying them prefer them to the MAC250+ Also. Oh..... and about £600 cheaper.

Well that wouldn't be hard, used the Mac 250's, and never, ever again! Also had the worse gobo's I've seen in a long time (bar the pyschedelic purple swirl thing, that was quite nice). Interested in these Robes. And they have a Zoom version! :rolleyes:

Stu

On the question about the Robes.......... I think they are fab. Access inside is great, gobo changing is far better than Martin........ Ok a Robe 250 and Mac 250 is not a VL2200  but at less than £1200 each    a snip. My only dislike about the spot version is NO CMY colour mixing - the wash light has it though. Reports coming back from people hiring them are saying them prefer them to the MAC250+ Also. Oh..... and about £600 cheaper.

Interesting. I was looking at some Robe movers at AC Lighting in Leeds last week, and I was quite impressed. I had a couple of reservations ...

*The cooling fans on the lamphouse - OK, they're controllable, and in isolation they're fairly quiet - but what about when you have a rig of 70 or 80 heads? 150 extra fans might not be so acceptable.

* The 575 wash light only has the one beam shaper, as agains the Mac600's two.

* The 575 spots only have one each of CTO and CTB on the colour wheel, as against the Martin which has two of each ('full' and 'half').

But having said that they cost considerably less than a Mac, and from what the AC chaps were saying they've already found their way into the stock of several hire companies, including one large and well-known AV hire house.

On the question about the Robes.......... I think they are fab. Access inside is great, gobo changing is far better than Martin........ Ok a Robe 250 and Mac 250 is not a VL2200  but at less than £1200 each    a snip. My only dislike about the spot version is NO CMY colour mixing - the wash light has it though. Reports coming back from people hiring them are saying them prefer them to the MAC250+ Also. Oh..... and about £600 cheaper.

Interesting. I was looking at some Robe movers at AC Lighting in Leeds last week, and I was quite impressed. I had a couple of reservations ...

*The cooling fans on the lamphouse - OK, they're controllable, and in isolation they're fairly quiet - but what about when you have a rig of 70 or 80 heads? 150 extra fans might not be so acceptable.

* The 575 wash light only has the one beam shaper, as agains the Mac600's two.

* The 575 spots only have one each of CTO and CTB on the colour wheel, as against the Martin which has two of each ('full' and 'half').

But having said that they cost considerably less than a Mac, and from what the AC chaps were saying they've already found their way into the stock of several hire companies, including one large and well-known AV hire house.

You get wgat you pay for in any walk of life - for the price something will have to go . the second beam shaper was probably the first to go I guess.

To be honest - I have not been aware of the fan noise being any worse than a MAC and as you say you can adjust the fan speed. there are three speeds available.

Also, if you are going to have 70-80 movers in the rig. chances are it is going to be a slightly larger venue than say the Soho Poly Theatre...... so fan noise is not going to be a problem in my view.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lightnix

I had a close look at one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed, except for one thing.

They seem to use self-tapping screws to hold the lids on. As they are removed / replaced time after time they make the hole bigger and bigger until they no longer offer any grip, at which point... you can guess the rest.

Martin made the same mistake with the first MAC 500s, but eventually took the more expensive option of introducing a proper captive nut arrangement.

• 5 weeks later...
Let the battle commence!

:huh:

Stu

:blink: Nice one Stu.. Funny how the different styles of salemanships shows it self, Paul = "Hate to say", Ian is "pleased"..... The commision structures must be a little different at AC than at 10/10 ;)

Archived