Creaky wooden rostra

IJWesley

I have an issue with some creaky rostra. 

The rostra are of a wooden construction, plywood tops on a wooden frame. Due to some - shall we say - larger cast members in the current show, the rostra are creaking rather badly. They are well braced - no sign of splitting or any other timber failure.

My only option is to try to mitigate the creaking. Replacement or rebuildng is not an option.

At the moment, the only solution I have is to turn the rostra upsidedown, check all the screws and the try to brush some graphite powder into all the joints - unless anyone has a better alternative?

If not already centrally supported, cut some 2 x 3 timber to the internal height and fix to the centre underside as a additional. Uses some offcuts to make two blocks for each side. Drill them through such that they fit to the underside of the ply and you can get screws through sideways to fix the new leg into place. If going on a polished floor ensure the floor end of the boxes have felt pads fitted. I just glued the end, cut felt oversize and staple gunned the excess onto the sides of the leg. 

Alternatively see if you can find something rigid that is the same height as the internal and put them on the floor with the stagebox over them. I had a similar problem with a school temporary stage some years back. I was allowed to borrow piles of books that I put under each stagebox to solve the problem for that show. Then I modified the boxes as above for the showing a week later, having discovered the school had been complaining about them for years, both for the amount of flex and creak, plus the drum effect with kids on them.     

If you are satisfied as to the structural reliability and the ONLY concern is the creaking noises, then these can be reduced by puffing talcum powder into the creaking parts. This acts as a lubricant and allows wood to move relative to other wooden parts in silence.

If however there is any doubt about the structure then this needs attention to strenthen it.