Stage blood that doesn't fade to pink?

nopEda

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a type of stage blood that doesn't turn pink and look very un-bloodlike after a few minutes? I've been using Ben Nye stage blood zesty mint flavor and it looks great when it's first applied, but within a few minutes it turns pink and looks pretty stupid. Can anyone suggest something that looks good to start with and keeps looking good for a while?

Also I'm trying to find a few theater related forums to post to. Can anyone suggest some other good ones, if that's not inappropriate to ask about here?

Thanks for any help!
David
Maine, USA

Controlbooth is effectively the US version of this forum.  

In terms of stage blood, I’ve always found that makeup artists or prop managers have their own recipes - I used to work with a makeup artist who swore by adding blue tinted dish soap - which also meant it washed out much more easily.  Maybe contact some props departments of big opera companies and see if they can help - opera seems to have a lot of stage blood so they’re experts!

I used to use a mixture of Boots own brand red food colouring mixed with swarfega and cornflour to make washable stage blood.  Experiment with quantities as I can't remember the ratio.  Bear in mind that this was many years ago and the recipe for the food colouring has probably changed - try a test piece before upsetting your wardrobe department.