Rehearsal Room Microphones...

The JC

Hi all,

Due to a recent round of 'rona in one of my venue's acting companies, we've had to move to hybrid rehearsals of in the room and on Zoom (Sssso 2020-21!!). For audio, normal webcams ain't cutting it so I'm planning to mic up the room and send it via a USB interface to the laptop. What are your microphone suggestions? The room has high ceilings, a sprung wooden floor and there is no 'default setup' meaning I need to capture sound equally from pretty much every angle in the room. On top of that, appreciate that I don't have a room plan to offer, recommendations for placement would be great too. My inital thought was having some mics rigged above the space so they don't interefere and can't be tampered with.... Suggestions welcome 🙂

Edited by The JC

I think your idea of mics above is the best since you have a sprung floor and it keeps them out of the way. Depending on the size of the room four condenser mics hanging straight down from their cables 4m (12 foot above the floor) might cover the room. They will need a small mixer to power them and to mix them to a USB output but there are several small mixers with USB that could do that. If the room is a fair sized hall though then you need even more than four. Alternatively in a big room could you narrow down the area where cast might need to communicate over Zoom?