Does a Sanyo PLC-XU51 Projector have a memory battery?

Bazz339

I am doing battle with a Sanyo PLC-XU51 Projector. Is anyone familiiar with them? I know it is getting on a bit.  I do not remember specifically having to save settings when closing the MENU, but it seems the projector is forgetting them when it is switched off. Does anyone know if it has a memory battery? It is bracket mounted quite high up and will be a pain to get down, I am reluctant to do it in case it fails completely. There is not a back up. 

It most likely has a battery, but chances are, on a nearly 20 year old unit the battery may need replacing. Although going through the service manual I cant see reference to a battery.

Alternatively for around £600 you could get a new 4500 lumen projector to replace it.

Given the age and poor accessibility of this projector, what's the remaining lamp life on it? If the lamp is near the end of it useful service life, I'd be inclined to replace the projector entirely. The total cost of replacing the lamp will be significantly more than the value of the projector re-lamped.

Both fair comments. I don't think there is an hour meter, just an end of life indicator. It is only used foor 3 or 4 hours a week. Having said that it was installed a few years ago and its history prior to that is unknown. 

We are looking to go to a TV based system although I would still want a projector as a back up. 

I am out of touch with projectors now. What make and model would people suggest as an equivalent to look at? It must have horizontal keystone correction but I am happy to check the spec. of any suggested. 

I am considering getting the projector down and havng a look at it with the provison that it may need replacing. There was  a lot of work done in the church it is installed (By me) in so I am mindful it needs a full clean.  

pmiller056 is the service manual you have for ths model or a similar? I have a service manual for PLc XU50 but have not looked other than in Manuals Library for 51 service manual. 

I don't have a service manual for that specific model. I did find a parts list online, but no further servicing detail. Other information available online suggests that this projector appears to be fairly typical for that age/price point. There will most likely be a coin-cell battery somewhere to remember settings which will have failed after nearly 20 years. The lamps used in similar projectors typically have a design service life of 2000 hours. Given the usage pattern that you've stated, I suspect that by now, the lamp will be due for replacement in the near term.