Platinum Lamp Ballast Query

partyanimallighting

Hi all, just trying to get some answers on Platinum lamp ballasts. I'm comparing 5R/7R lamp ballast components to those on a 17R ballast and there are basically 3 components used on each type, 4 SUP57N20 N-Channel MOSFET's and one FDPF18N50 N-Channel MOSFET and either one of STTH15L06 Turbo2 High Voltage Rectifier or BYV29X Ultra Fast Rectifier Diode. My question is how do they use the same components but one outputs 230W and the other 330W? Is it the larger number of coils that generate the addition wattage on the 17R ballast? I'm wondering because I received some new 330W replacement ballasts and they are smaller (135MM x 50MM) than the original installed ballasts (150MM x 60MM) and the newer smaller ballasts have two coils compared to four on the original ballast. They also look identical to some 7R ballasts that I have (second picture). When I replaced one of these original ballasts with the newer smaller ballasts the moving head started up fine but when the lamp strike was initiated, there was a loud pop and the line fuse blew and the breaker tripped on the 120VAC supply. The newer ballasts are also labeled 330W so I'm just looking for some feedback as to what could have caused this.

Ballast Difference POST 001.jpg

BALLAST COMPARISON 17R TO 7R 002.jpg

When the newly fitted unit took the fuse out, was it trying to start an 'old' lamp? The lamps remind me of the Osram Sirius range fitted to the R2 Beam that I've had a fair amount of time with including issues with stuff going bang.

Really? Stuff going bang? Just like what happened to me? Yes, I just ordered these parts to do some repairs/servicing to my 17R outdoor rated beams and, as typical of Chinese companies, they sent completely different parts. The lamps used in the units are "supposed" to be 17R but they're a slightly smaller diameter than an actual 17R but the lamps that were sent are the correct size and fit exactly in the unit. The replacement power supplies they sent carried the same voltages but they're slightly larger which means drilling new mounting holes which should not be a problem (haven't gotten to that yet). The ballasts however........these more closely resemble the 7R ballasts that I have in stock but they're marked 330 hence my post to get some answers. I originally tested the unit with one of the new lamps and an old 17R ballast and that lamp struck fine. When I swapped out the old ballast with one of these new smaller "330" ballasts the 'event' occurred. You mentioned an R2 Beam....as in the Chauvet R2 Beams? I've had my fair share of issues with my RH1 Hybrids myself with ballast and fan error issues so it seems to be a thing with this line also. The difference in lamp size and power supply size is not the issue right now. I'm really just seeking some answers on these ballasts.

15R LAMP ORIGINAL.jpg

15R LAMP IN STOCK.jpg

Original 24V 36V and Replacement Power Supply 001.jpg

I ordered ballasts directly from the company the units were originally bought from and these smaller ballasts were sent instead of the larger 150MM x 60MM ballasts that screw directly to the mounting bracket. Apparently last night's event also blew out the 380VDC power supply that feeds the ballast.

With R2 Beams, I've had quite a few that take out the 380v terminals on the PSU in a fairly aggressive manner. There is obviously an overload issue with these designs under certain conditions, ending up with black and melted terminals and nearby SMDs near vapourising. Not sure we ever actually worked out what the issue was but buying new PSUs becomes a little tiresome, despite Chauvet support being generally good.

(Pretty sure this was the R2 Beams although have also had something similar with Pointes.)

Edited by indyld

indyld, it's heartwarming to hear that I am no the only one suffering. I was fortunate yesterday that I only lost a fuse so I just tried again with one of the larger ballasts and there was another loud pop and this time the 380V PSU died. I'll tear it apart later and see if I'm lucky enough and hopefully it's just a blown fuse. So it's definitely an ongoing issue with these ballasts then......

What used to be where the black hole is now? Maybe a DPAK MOSFET and some switching diodes?

This kind of damage on the underside of a high power board has the same look as fixtures that have got water in them and shorted out. Is the correct insulating layer where it needs to be and the mounting points in the right place on the new boards?

Edited by indyld

Hi indyld, I'll disassemble the ballast to check the components in the burnt out area. The general area appears to be where the PCB with the input terminal that leads from the display PCB is attached and I believe that, once the unit starts up and al stepper motors home into place, this display PCB sends a signal to the ballast to strike the lamp. As for water damage, these units are IP54 rated and are well sealed and there is no sign of water leaking in anywhere but you can never be sure. As for the insulation, that's all in place but the blowout on these two particular ballasts was so severe, holes were burnt through each piece of insulation. The mounting holes were in their appropriate places and far away from anything that could cause a short or blowout.

BALLAST BLOWOUT 003.JPG