ETC Express.... worth a punt?

sleah

Got half an eye on an ETC Express 125 for about £150 delivered. No PSU so would need to make one.

Wondered if it would be any good for just controlling a few LEDs and a few generics? I like the idea of using to setup a few scenes on the submasters in a school drama studio. I also like the idea of it being a 'proper' desk rather some disco tat which I could probably get for less. Language isn't a million miles from the Element we have so could be a good intro for students to real desks.

I won't put the Element near the kids cos' they previously managed to mess it up and have already lost a knob. It needs to be kept for shows and trustworthy only!

Obviously would have to build custom fixture profiles and would be a faff to program (due to leds) compared to a modern desk with colour swatches etc.

Am I mad?

I'd be tempted to stick with the Element. Keep a backup of a known good show file on a USB, buy a stash of fader caps, and acknowledge that sometimes teaching gets a bit messy.

That said - for turn up and go use in a studio (and I include professional rehearsal rooms and other self service spaces) a windows based desk that needs shutting down and a bit of care can be a pain. Something like a Jester/SmartFade/ColourSource can be better here. The express might do the trick - it's been years since I used one so can't remember how well they tolerate uncareful use.

21 hours ago, J Pearce said:

I'd be tempted to stick with the Element. Keep a backup of a known good show file on a USB, buy a stash of fader caps, and acknowledge that sometimes teaching gets a bit messy.

I totally agree.  Spend the 150 quid on spare knobs/keycaps/fader caps and use the real console.

1 hour ago, Erock said:

It would work. ETC'S Colorsource console is stupid easy to use however. Much more suitable for mixing color on LED fixtures.

Got a Colorsource. The biggest problem from a 'turn it on and push that slider up' POV is it can't be powered on straight to playback mode. Need to be using the touchscreen first... not sure if our non-tech drama staff (or students!) could cope with that!! 🤣🤣

Edited by sleah