moving heads

John_P

Apologies if this should be obvious info that has been discussed before but I'd appreciate any tips.

I usually do live bands in large function rooms - typically around 200 but occasionally bigger and looking to add in some moving lights at the back.   I'm thinking something with a 75W ish led should be bright enough?     I'm thinking 4 but if they are effective as a pair in small rooms that would be good. 

To speed up setup times and make life simple It would be great to find a built in program I can turn on at the start of a show - even better to stick to white or red light, but I suspect I'm quickly going to need control them via DMX.

I'm looking at the the following models and there doesn't look to be much between them spec wise so any comments on build quality and control would really helpful.      Equinox fusion 100 spot,   Marq Gesture 500,  Chauvet 260,  ADJ Focus spot 2      

I'm a dealer for both Equinox and ADJ, so inherently biased. 😉

I only have direct experience with the Fusion 100, which seem like they'd hit the mark for you. I expect any of the others would too, so the decision is perhaps down to pricing, availability, local support, etc. (The Chauvet 260 and ADJ Focus seem brighter and more capable, but with a price tag to match, I'm not sure you'd need that level of performance)

Do you have any hire companies near you that carry any of these models? It might be worth hiring first to try out, and potentially picking a model that you can hire more of in future if need be. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stuart91 said:

I'm a dealer for both Equinox and ADJ, so inherently biased. 😉

I only have direct experience with the Fusion 100, which seem like they'd hit the mark for you. I expect any of the others would too, so the decision is perhaps down to pricing, availability, local support, etc. (The Chauvet 260 and ADJ Focus seem brighter and more capable, but with a price tag to match, I'm not sure you'd need that level of performance)

Do you have any hire companies near you that carry any of these models? It might be worth hiring first to try out, and potentially picking a model that you can hire more of in future if need be. 

Thanks for that - I'm happy to pay for the adj if I'll notice the difference but from what I can see they are all going to have a similar brightness be able to cut through the wash lights and throw across a room. I probably don't need features like replaceable gobos so I might be better just get the cheaper equinox and buying a spare fixture.

Sadly the other local guys are either using way more upmarket big heads or don't use movers as hiring in extra's would have been very handy when needed, having said that from what I've read, it looks like four fusion 100's would be enough to make a pretty effective show.