Suggestion for LED Fresnels

lxkev

Looking at buying some LED Fresnels. Full colour, trim hight of 7.5m

Any suggestion

A hint on your budget would be helpful. There is a vast range of quality and corresponding price.

The more expensive ones have more LED colours than just RGBW or RGBA to give better colour rendering - often adding Lime emitters which help with flesh tones. With RGBW or RGBA it is difficult to get a realistic looking white or pale tints.

The ETC Desire Fresnel is probably top of the tree for quality and price, or ETC do a fresnel body for the Source 4 Lustr LED engines.In the mid range you have Elation, Chauvet professional and eLumen8.

Down at the bottom end of the budget there is LEDJ and ADJ.

Edited by timsabre

There's a few fixtures in the Elumen8 range - we looked at the MP75 as a low cost option and it's ok but a bit low output. There's more powerful versions, with more colour emitters, such as the MP180 or the Virtuoso 1000, which we looked at but never got around to auditioning.

I've used the Chauvet Ovation FC profiles (S4 JR type fixture) with RGBAL emitters and the light output was good - I would have been hard pressed to tell it wasn't a tungsten fixture. I haven't used the Ovation FC Fresnel but I think it is the same LED engine so it should be a nice fixture.

Manufacturers are extremely keen to sell stuff at the moment - I would identify a few likely candidates in your price range and contact the distributors who I am sure will be happy to arrange a demo for you. That's the best way to see if it'll work for you.

ETC Colorsource LED with fresnel adaptors come in around £1500ish, just as an approximate guide to cost.

Colorsource are RGBW aren't they - how do they work out doing white/tungsten output? I've used some colorsource S4's and they looked a bit "LED" in white, couldn't get them looking quite right.

ColorSource are RGBL. The "preset" 3200K open white looks convincingly like tungsten, to my eyes (and those of others in our team). Put them next to a Lustr 2 (or a Series 3) and they come up wanting, of course.

Ah OK. I am not sure what I was using then, they were RGBW and you could tell.

Ah OK. I am not sure what I was using then, they were RGBW and you could tell.

As others have said, the CS is RGBL (or RGIL if you have a deep blue version). The only entertainment fixture (I'm ignoring daylight arrays and the architectural fixtures here) that is different is the Source 4WRD Color which uses RGBA