Cinemoid

Phosphene

Anyone got a scrap of Cinemoid (yes, Strand Cinemoid) colour 8 (that's the one with the fluorescent edging when you cut it) they could lend me.

Want to try to scan or photograph it into an FLX desk to see if our LED rig can recreate it. (Various manufacturers have claimed to have replicated it in gel over the years, nut none have come near the old original Strand colour.)

I had a bit of a google and No.8 doesn't seem to come up much - often missing between 7 and 9 in the lists I found.

One of the few places I found was this: https://www.theatrec...atalogue_64.pdf

"Deep Salmon"

But no RGB/HSV data though :-(

Superficially, Lee 008 looks close but maybe not close enough for your requirements! Whether RGB can faithfully reproduce any of these gel colours is probably debateable!

If you do get a swatch of No.8, you're probably better projecting this onto a white surface - ideally with a tungsten (not TH) lamp (because much of the "colour" of this "Deep Salmon" will come from the lamp colour temperature) and then trying to match by mixing with the RGB fixture that you expect to use in this application. You might find that an RGBA fixture helps you get closer (but I think your experience means you already know this!).

Edited by kgallen

Anyone got a scrap of Cinemoid (yes, Strand Cinemoid) colour 8 (that's the one with the fluorescent edging when you cut it) they could lend me.

Want to try to scan or photograph it into an FLX desk to see if our LED rig can recreate it. (Various manufacturers have claimed to have replicated it in gel over the years, nut none have come near the old original Strand colour.)

I have an ancient Cinemoid swatch which has 8 "Deep Salmon" on it if that's any use? No idea how old it is but has Rank Strand's address as Great West Road, Brentford, Middx, TW8 9HR but I would guess is mid to late 1970s.

Thanks. Just managed to turn up a Furse (Fursine) sample swatch which includes their version, which looks very close to me (unlike the later attemps by various manufacturers.) Perfectly sensible point about the tungsten contribution to the perceived colour output. Intend to try an assortment of methods to see if I can come close. Some of the venue fixtures are RGBW, but the FOH all includes amber in the fixtre. so fingers crossed.Thanks for looking.

I had a bit of a google and No.8 doesn't seem to come up much - often missing between 7 and 9 in the lists I found.

One of the few places I found was this: https://www.theatrec...atalogue_64.pdf

"Deep Salmon"

But no RGB/HSV data though :-(

Superficially, Lee 008 looks close but maybe not close enough for your requirements! Whether RGB can faithfully reproduce any of these gel colours is probably debateable!

If you do get a swatch of No.8, you're probably better projecting this onto a white surface - ideally with a tungsten (not TH) lamp (because much of the "colour" of this "Deep Salmon" will come from the lamp colour temperature) and then trying to match by mixing with the RGB fixture that you expect to use in this application. You might find that an RGBA fixture helps you get closer (but I think your experience means you already know this!).

Have just turned up a Furse (Fursine) swatch which includes their version... nearer than any of the later attempts to replicate the colour. Am going to try with that. If I'm unsuccessful I may well come back to you to borrow your swatch if I may.

Thanks for looking.Cliff

I have an ancient Cinemoid swatch which has 8 "Deep Salmon" on it if that's any use? No idea how old it is but has Rank Strand's address as Great West Road, Brentford, Middx, TW8 9HR but I would guess is mid to late 1970s.

The Fursine is probably Cinemoid anyway - it was all produced at the Courtaulds plant at Spondon.

I had a friend who took over as the production manager for the line who casually asked one day if it might be of any use (it turns out it wasn't called by their trade names in the factory itself so he didn't realise what it was) - I ended up with a roll of assorted colours that lasted a couple of years. It was a "died in the mass" product that was then rolled out to thickness - new gels are clear polyester that is dyed to suit which I suspect is why some colours don't quite match - the dyes probably react slightly differently with the base material?

Hi

I have a swatch book for Strand Electric which I must have got early in my theatre lighting experience which started in 1964. The address is 29 king Street London WC2.

Cinemoid 8 is present and I am happy to send you half that swatch if you supply me with your contact details.