QL5 vs Avantis

lxkev

Hi all,

Before everyone says go on try them. I have, I like both.

I'm really torn for which desk to go with.

Receiving Venue, and the normal community shows. I've got no other techs on my team at the moment as the venue not due to open for months. So I can't get there views.

So what is the industry views.

Venue closed in 2017 and mainly did conference work. Its now opening as a performing arts centre in 2022.

So it's hard to decide what suits its programme best.

I wouldn't worry a huge amount anyone who really cares is going to be touring their own desk in so it's important to make it easy to integrate toured in desks.

From my limited view I've seen more Yamaha in venues and it's easier to hire Yamaha than A&H, for example if the desk dies and you need a hired in replacement at short notice.

However you get more bang per buck with A&H exactly because they are less 'rider friendly' so add more features at a lower price point to make sales. A person I know who owns their own desk and programs their own shows on it went with A&H DLive.

I really like both at the price point and would suggest you would be happy with either.

If I were writing a spec I'd probably write it in such a way that both were possible and wait and see who can price it the keenest. But if you're not going the RFP route then that won't work.

I think I'd say the edge is slightly for the Avantis, as it's a newer product. (96kHz and so on.) But it's marginal.

I wouldn't worry a huge amount anyone who really cares is going to be touring their own desk in so it's important to make it easy to integrate toured in desks.

This.

From my limited view I've seen more Yamaha in venues and it's easier to hire Yamaha than A&H, for example if the desk dies and you need a hired in replacement at short notice.

This.

However you get more bang per buck with A&H exactly because they are less 'rider friendly' so add more features at a lower price point to make sales. A person I know who owns their own desk and programs their own shows on it went with A&H DLive.

And, very much, this.

One thing to note if you use Macs is that Allen and Heath are even more legthargic than Yamaha at updating their offline software for new OS versions. They still haven't officially support macOS 10.15 or macOS 11 for dlive director. Avantis Director does seem to claim support for macOS 10.15 but while they claims support for Big Sur they call it 10.16 which doesn't inspire any confidence. It feels like the offline is a bit of an afterthought at A&H.