Headsets

J Pearce

The risk assessments I’m writing at the moment are very much “one user, one headset”. Looking ahead I can see this sticking around for a while, and in many ways it is probably best practice to avoid show flu in any case. The logical conclusion to this is that I want to buy my own headset, and move on from dodgy venue headsets with flaky earmuffs, skanky mics, dodgy cables etc.

So, what’s out there that folk like? The DT108/109 looks a bit dated and clunky now, lighter weight would be nice but reasonable isolation is also important as I often work noisy shows. The DT209 looks nice as does Audio Technica’s BPHS1. The Sennheiser HMD stuff looks great but is rather pricey.

Anyone found something great that I haven’t found? Looking to stay with dynamic mic for maximum compatibility.

I don't like Beyer headsets. They're too fragile. The Sennheiser HMD-26 is a nice headset. But I have always liked David Clark headsets. They are well known for their pilots headsets but they do offer a pro audio version.

They are not cheap, granted. My personal one has been on tour for years and is in every bit the same condition it was in when I bought it. I really like the noise isolation (very good), the sound is very clear and cuts through whatever noise isn't isolated. The mic is gooseneck which I much prefer to a rigid arm. Another great thing about them is that they are very user-serviceable and all the parts are replaceable. And because of their popularity in the aviation industry (and the number of common parts), getting spares in other countries isn't problematic.

I have an H8532... buy it with the case, which is unusually cheap!

https://www.davidclarkcompany.com/pro-audio/headsets.php

Edited by dje

I’ve carried my own headsets since the late 90’s, as the corporate companies I worked for didn’t have any hygiene controls in place, and I suffered from ear infections from wearing their headsets, often for 10+ hrs a day. I currently have a set of Dave Clarke H8590 as my standard set, a couple of pairs of Peltor 8006 - fantastic for rock shows / raves, and a Clear-Com CC-27 which is great for corporates and superb for LD’s that want to call spots without having an ear piece in, if they are on IEM’s for example. The mic on the CC-27 remains clear even if left open at FOH under louder than war conditions, paired that with followspots on the 8006’s and you have a very useable setup for extremely loud gigs.

The mic on the CC-27 remains clear even if left open at FOH under louder than war conditions

Thanks for this feedback, I've been looking for something I can wear under a helmet but still having a boom mic, this is a really helpful suggestion.

Thanks for the tips folks, all very useful :)

The David Clark stuff looks good, but at the top end of my budget at present. I think I'd also prefer a black headset, spending most of my time in theatre/concert hall and corporate rather than rock and roll.

The Peltors are probably overkill for my loud shows (I'm not often on cans when working rock shows etc.). The CC-27 looks interesting, and lighweight, worth further consideration - certainly a less industrial look if I'm FOH in smart blacks.

Sennheiser HMD-46 user here. Both in theatre and the day job. I maintain a set of 40 of them at work.

I know they're pricey, but they're very nice. Removable downlead is great for quick repairs. Mic boom is easily replaceable and you can get most of the spares easily online.

As you say they're not cheap, but they're certainly worth the money.

The David Clark stuff looks good, but at the top end of my budget at present. I think I'd also prefer a black headset, spending most of my time in theatre/concert hall and corporate rather than rock and roll.

I painted my DC headset with black enamel model paint and it looks fine.

The DC headset are super easy to disassemble so I took the shells away from the headset, painted them and then reassembled.

• 2 weeks later...

To feed back in to this, I bought a Audio Technica BPHS1 headset. It comes with XLR3 and TRS Jack as standard, but I have rewired it to XLR5 with breakouts to XLR3/Jack, XLR4, miniXLR4/Tiny GQ, and TRRS minijack - quite like the flexibility that setup offers.

It feels lightweight and comfortable, with enough clamping force to offer some isolation but not induce a headache. Well built, though not to the level of a David Clark headset. It's probably not as idiot-proof as a tecpro headset, but for a personal headset I'm happy that it's hardy enough to survive the workplace for a good few years.

So, thanks for all the tips folks - it provided some genuinely useful data points and areas for contemplation. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread in a few months once I've had some time out and about on shows with them.

Edited by J Pearce

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who use the Sennheiser HMD-46, I've made a quick video here showing an easy mod to attach larger ear pads to them. Might be or use. Our users certainly find them more comfortable.