Keyboard stand with speakers

TomHoward

Here's a weird one that I'm guessing there might not be a lot of experience on, but it's worth a shot...

I'm looking at building a keyboard stand with built in speakers. So some of the Clavinovas we have have the speakers in the stand, not in the top, and I'm hoping to recreate this with something built, so it can be used with a Nord etc that doesn't have speakers built in to make a standalone piano. We have a couple clavs but at least 3-4 other pianos that either don't have build in speakers or they do but they are lacking.

I'm thinking I only need something like 2x 30W max, and my first thought is maybe a pair of 6x9 car speakers? I might have to baffle the backs of them to get more out of them?

For an amp there are lots of Chinese portable stereo amps, and branded stuff like this Monacor: https://www.monacor.com/products/pa-technology/amplifiers/hi-fi-amplifiers/sa-160bt/

I'm guessing this is something I might have to build to see if it's decent or rubbish?

Just to confirm I'm looking for something to replicate a Clav for when you'd use a clav without external amplification - eg alongside a vocalist for after dinner etc, and not looking for something like the Nord monitors.

Also it could be thrown in a van with the stage piano cased up but the stand likely wouldn't need it - lot of our pianos have cases but the Clavs don't.

I suspected they might be, I guess the back is two layers thick with speakers in the cavity?

It might be easier to build something with shelves in the outside corners for two active monitors and fix them in. I don’t really want speakers visible, trying to make something discreet-ish as per a clav with built in speakers.