Smart LED Tape Solutions

BYCTech

Hey!

I'm currently working on a project in which I need some RGB LED tape to chase from one end of the tape to the other (and then repeat). Obviously to do this I'll need some kind of intelligent RGB Tape and some kind of controller. The problem I'm facing is that I need this to integrate into my current show control system (Weigl ProCommander) which only features a single universe of DMX. Now when pixel mapping gets involved, naturally I lose a large number of DMX channels very quickly, which isn't ideal.

My ideal solution is likely some form of intelligent RGB Tape which includes an auto programme that replicates what I'm after, that I can then turn on/off via a DMX Relay (would also require the fixture remembering settings on power cycle). Finding an auto programme which does exactly what I'm after seems remarkably unlikely so I thought I'd come here in hope someone more experienced in intelligent LED Tape might be able to suggest some solutions as I'm currently going round in circles from google searching.

I've seen a few solutions that involve small Arduino controllers which looks like a potential solution. My current show controller features network functions so this could be a good solution for control/communication to the LED Tape. Unfortunately I'm not experienced in the world of Arduino and coding etc. (Open and eager to learning it, but unfortunately can't dedicate a huge portion of time to it.)

Any help, recommendations, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You can get pixel driver boxes with built in macro patterns which only take a few DMX channels to operate. End-tp-end chase is a fairly common pattern.

Enttec do a range called Pixelator or Pixie.

In the UK AbstractAVR do one (bias alert- I was involved with the firmware for this one - but it can be bought in the UK and won't fall into any Brexit holes)

Have a look at this
, he uses an Arduino for transmit or controller and an Arduino for receiver so you can see the whole picture but you only need to build the receiver. Lady Ada has good coverage of NeoPixel The Magic of NeoPixels . The DMX receive address is embedded in the DmxSerialRcv code but if you look at my article Arduino DMX Demultiplexer for Analogue Dimmers I wrote a piece of code or sketch to read in DIP switches to create a variable startaddress which I put into the serial receive code on the analogWrite lines as an externally set DMX address.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wanting to do simple DMX-controlled effects with LED pixel tape and run into the problems noted above. Have a look at the 'WLED' project hosted on Github. The host microcontroller is an ESP32 or ESP8266 which has built in Wifi and costs around GBP10 from the usual online sources. This is very much a DIY route, but the parts are small, cheap and easy to put in an suitable enclosure. I've started to play with it and I'm impressed. One of the E1.31/Artnet control options offered allows preset scenes (and there's a big selection included by default) to be selected by DMX control value. A related project is 'NodeMCU' which allows similar remote control of relays and triacs. For theatre use I'm not keen on wifi being used for control, but apparently there is a way of using wired ethernet in place of Wifi with these controllers.

I have been wanting to do simple DMX-controlled effects with LED pixel tape and run into the problems noted above. Have a look at the 'WLED' project hosted on Github. The host microcontroller is an ESP32 or ESP8266 which has built in Wifi and costs around GBP10 from the usual online sources. This is very much a DIY route, but the parts are small, cheap and easy to put in an suitable enclosure. I've started to play with it and I'm impressed. One of the E1.31/Artnet control options offered allows preset scenes (and there's a big selection included by default) to be selected by DMX control value. A related project is 'NodeMCU' which allows similar remote control of relays and triacs. For theatre use I'm not keen on wifi being used for control, but apparently there is a way of using wired ethernet in place of Wifi with these controllers.

I have built a few WLED units and it does work well, however if left running for days the wifi sometimes stops working and needs reboot. I don't know of a way of making it wired though and Artnet/sACN over wifi can be problematic.

I have built a few WLED units and it does work well, however if left running for days the wifi sometimes stops working and needs reboot. I don't know of a way of making it wired though and Artnet/sACN over wifi can be problematic.

https://www.banggood...GB&currency=GBP

These with a custom compiled firmware work nicely for WLED

I've got some of these boards doing some home automation, ESP32 with POE ethernet built in. I've got a project on the to-do list to get one of them running LED pixel and/or SACN output.

(The price you get to first is for the programmer board - note that it fits from the underside of the PCB - the main board price is around £16)

Edited by J Pearce