RCF Acustica

Stutwo

I'm buying a new sound system for a College, which is to be used for Rock and Roll, Musicals, Dance shows etc, and had originally specced up a NEXO PS10 system. Now the 4 PS10's and 2 LS500's with amps etc is coming in a bit pricey.

Someone recently suggested the RCF Acustica range as an alternative, but hasn't given me a test system. Has anyone heard them, or have any other suggestions?

Cheers!

EDIT: I noticed AFTER I posted that I put JBL instead of RCF. Buggrit.

They're RCF Acustica.

EDIT: Fixed by Bryson

Ah hit the keyboard with my big fat furry paws in the wrong order there. Must get some sleep before I post in future.

Haven't had chance to hear these Acusticas myself but was looking at the spec myself this morning - looks interesting. Which ones were you considering?

If you've had a look at the Nexo PS10s and the price is a bit steep have you consider the Turbosound TQ310 which is a similar spec cab but cheaper. Or what seems to be spec'd for alot of schools/colleges I been installing recently which is their TXD 121 or TXD151. Seem to be very popular and reliable (must be if there going into schools, usually the harshest of environments for pro audio gear I find) and very, ahem, "cost effective".

I admit I am a bit of a Turbo fan but have played around with most things over the past 10-15 years and know the PS10 pretty well, just think it sounds a bit old and dated nowadays - it has been round for a long time now. RCF has always been pretty decent kit for the money aswell but all wnet a bit odd when they got bought by Mackie EAW but now they're back out on their own again with new designers hopefully they'll be back on track.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Milo

Another brand you might want to consider would be the EM Acoustics EMS-81 or 121. We used to spec a lot of RCF stuff for install but now use the EM stuff, where the application demands it. Various people have had Turbo/Nexo/RCF/Logic/EM Acoustics shootouts and the EM stuff always scores very highly. Their baby sub has to be heard to be believed!

If you are really strapped for cash, the HK Audio Actor system is very good value for money. I'm not a big fan of the top end, and I don't like powered systems in general.

But, they are DEFINITELY worth a listen.

The better alternative would be the d&b Max 15's or Max 12's. Unlike a lot of the other systems d&b do, you don't have to use their bespoke amplifiers, although you will notice the difference using a cheaper amp. But, along with the 15 inch sub that goes with them, they can give you some pretty good results, and have the advantage that the PS10's have in that they are equally suited to FOH or Monitor duties. A lot of the new rash of cheaper speakers haven't quite nailed the combination of the two.

Hope it helps

• 1 year later...

Revival of dead topics is really annoying, you find yourself replying to old posts rather than new ones.

However, for what it's worth, a company I work for has got a few of the new RCF speakers. They've got the 10" and 12" ones from the C series, and some of the 18" subs. I'm quite impressed with them. They're built pretty well, they look good, and they sound good too, and given that they're half the price of a PS10, they make a very good buy. The only obvious downside is that they're not wedge shaped, so can't be used as monitors, and I'm not overly impressed with the subs. I'd be concerned that 8" speakers wouldn't be much to cover anything but the smallest venue though.

For what it's worth, I went with the Nexo's in the end, because even a grand is a lot of money to gamble on something you aren't convinced with. The Nexo's were pricier, but have been excellent and worth the money in my opinion.

Archived