Small mixer - analogue, digital?

richardash1981

I'm beginning to think about a replacement for my Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer, which is starting to show it's age / price. Particularly, the external power supply has failed (thread on that elsewhere on here), the monitor level pot is very noisy and others are starting to have crackles on them.

Obviously, I could replace like-for-like, or with a similar specification small analogue mixer from another vendor. But I'm starting to wonder if a small digital mixer (which I don't have to walk across the venue to adjust!) would be better replacement.

The 802 channel count is about right - two microphone channels, two line channels (with EQ!) is a little more than many compact mixers, but I have used all four quite often. The little mixer goes to jobs where the Soundcraft EPM12 or a borrowed Yamaha 01V is overkill, the reduced feature set (particularly no inserts and no PFL) is annoying, but can usually be lived with if the requirement is just for a microphone to avoid speakers having to shout, and maybe one or two musicians or soundtrack from a computer doing projection.

This was stuck back into my mind by Studio Spares plugging the Studiomaster Digilive mixers (I found a thread on here about the bigger ones, but no mention of the 4C and 8C models). However the 4C (with only 2 mics and 1 stereo line channel) is underwhelming, and the 8C (6 mic + 1 stereo line) costs quite a bit more than the current rate for the Soundcraft Ui12. On the other hand, the Ui12 got quite a slating when it launched and since for hardware, firmware and related issues. This makes be wary of it as a solution for events where I am either doing everything, or leaving it with someone else inexperienced to look after.The smallest Behringer X-air series seems to be the XR12, which is bigger again, and quite a lot more expensive. It's also heading into a full-rack form factor and not really a "notepad" mixer!

Am I missing something? Has anyone used any of the above recently and got opinions that have changed since 2015?

OK, I slightly missed the point here. Put in a bid on a 1-year old Behringer XR12 at the level of the cheapest B-stock Soundcraft UI12, and won it (to my surprise). Now I need to figure out where I can control it from!

I've used xair mixers for gigs that haven't got space to a bigger desk for years and find them rock solid, easy to use and sound fine. The one drawback is the wifi so it you are thinking of using it with a tablet then I'd strongly recommend adding an external router, preferably a dual band that can use 5GHz as well the more crowded. Sounds like a great choice to me.

I've used xair mixers for gigs that haven't got space to a bigger desk for years and find them rock solid, easy to use and sound fine. The one drawback is the wifi so it you are thinking of using it with a tablet then I'd strongly recommend adding an external router, preferably a dual band that can use 5GHz as well the more crowded. Sounds like a great choice to me.

Fully agree.

At this budget end, the XR series really is the only player in town - a proven track record, and the excellent and well supported Mixing Station app. The UI12/16 really aren't worth the hassle. Nothing wrong with the UI24, but it ups the price quite a bit. The Digilive stuff looks pricey for what it offers, and is well away from the mainstream.

Are the XRs like a "full rack form factor"? Far from it! And don't forget there's no external PSU. Personally, I'd always go for the XR18 as you can never have too many channels, (for me) XLR all round is much better, and it's the only one with a multi-track record/playback interface. But if the IO works for you, then the XR12 is smaller and will do so much more than your old Xenyx.

Just a) make sure you get an external router if you're out in public with it and b) work through the initial learning curve - you shouldn't have any regrets.

I came from an 01V96 to the XR18 and never looked back. Other than the fact the 01V96 had faders, *everything* about the XR18 was better. Smaller, lighter, no heavy snake. Truly transformational!

+1 For the XR18.

Staggering bit of kit.

So much I/O and tons of features in 3U.

From my experience: Primary control via ethernet via a switch.

Wireless control via a WiFi point connected to the switch.

All easily done in 4U.

Music group sometimes sell refurbs on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/musicgroupeurope

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a Spirit Folio Notepad >20years. I got it as part of an AV rip-out and initially pondered skipping it. However it went on the shelf and frequently found regular uses, more as an interface than mixer but it or Xenyx have been used every year since 1998 for a show relay system and 2-3 times a year since 2011 for local church hall quizzes. In that time I've owned several 802/1202's new and s/h and they always seem to sell. First 802 I owned was also s/h and used it for a schools show relay, [3 different mixes!] and after the run of plays they asked for it to stay in place, that School eventually had 4 Xenyx's from me. I prefer Spirit kit but I have never been able to work out why the basic Xenyx units are so much favoured over them.

Now retireing and planning to shed kit the Notepad will be one of the items staying put for now.

I'm beginning to think about a replacement for my Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer, which is starting to show it's age / price. Particularly, the external power supply has failed (thread on that elsewhere on here), the monitor level pot is very noisy and others are starting to have crackles on them.

Obviously, I could replace like-for-like, or with a similar specification small analogue mixer from another vendor. But I'm starting to wonder if a small digital mixer (which I don't have to walk across the venue to adjust!) would be better replacement.

The 802 channel count is about right - two microphone channels, two line channels (with EQ!) is a little more than many compact mixers, but I have used all four quite often. The little mixer goes to jobs where the Soundcraft EPM12 or a borrowed Yamaha 01V is overkill, the reduced feature set (particularly no inserts and no PFL) is annoying, but can usually be lived with if the requirement is just for a microphone to avoid speakers having to shout, and maybe one or two musicians or soundtrack from a computer doing projection.

This was stuck back into my mind by Studio Spares plugging the Studiomaster Digilive mixers (I found a thread on here about the bigger ones, but no mention of the 4C and 8C models). However the 4C (with only 2 mics and 1 stereo line channel) is underwhelming, and the 8C (6 mic + 1 stereo line) costs quite a bit more than the current rate for the Soundcraft Ui12. On the other hand, the Ui12 got quite a slating when it launched and since for hardware, firmware and related issues. This makes be wary of it as a solution for events where I am either doing everything, or leaving it with someone else inexperienced to look after.The smallest Behringer X-air series seems to be the XR12, which is bigger again, and quite a lot more expensive. It's also heading into a full-rack form factor and not really a "notepad" mixer!

Am I missing something? Has anyone used any of the above recently and got opinions that have changed since 2015?

I've had a Spirit Folio Notepad >20years.

Likewise. I've even got a couple of 1970's Uher mixers

I prefer Spirit kit but I have never been able to work out why the basic Xenyx units are so much favoured over them.

Cheaper (& far more likely to be in your local music shop) ? The original Notepad had the appalling power connector; the Xenyx's have lots of knobs & flashing lights, but the regulators get far too hot, so they tend to die if left on for long periods.

I've had a Spirit Folio Notepad >20years.

Likewise. I've even got a couple of 1970's Uher mixers

I prefer Spirit kit but I have never been able to work out why the basic Xenyx units are so much favoured over them.

Cheaper (& far more likely to be in your local music shop) ? The original Notepad had the appalling power connector; the Xenyx's have lots of knobs & flashing lights, but the regulators get far too hot, so they tend to die if left on for long periods.

The power connector is the one thing that let the Spirit range down. I've added a 3p mini XLR to each of mine in addition to the original. In the notepad symbol in the middle and also the 'O' of Folio for 'F1s' and 'SXs'.

I consider it to be a known fault and deal with it.

The other mod I do on 'F1' & 'SX' is add PFL LEDs.