Vanish Or Appear?

wycome5

Could you give a little LESS detail???

I've always had an interest in magic, which is partly I suppose why I got into theatre (problem-solving aspects). Can only suggest you start with the end effect and then work out how to accomplish it. If you want to PM me more details about set, number of people on stage at the time etc,, I'll see if I can suggest something.

Otherwise, get hold of a book on how to make your own illusions (illusions being the big stage effects involving people, as opposed to other branches of magic) and make or adapt what you find. Best bet is probably Davenports or Magic Books By Post.

A hell of a lot more info is needed - are the set pieces the person can disappear into? Are they elevated on a stage? Are you able to use pyro? How cheap is cheap? Why isn't this post in the effects & pyro board?

Basically to get someone to disappear, you need to get the audience to stop looking at them - there are basically 2 ways - obscure him, or blind the audience. Smoke obscures, giving a few seconds for him/her/it to hid away from the audiences eyes, this can be made using pyrotechnics. You could also have the stage smokey, and then make a light curtain by shining side lights. It is not an easy thing to get looking good though.

Flashing an uber bright light will blind the audience temporarily - IIRC if blinding, the white out looses it's effect after 17s - eyes are able to see through the glare and make out shapes moving.

Blinding the audience means you need many high speced (ie greater than 1.2K) lights shining directly into the audience (to well and truly blind), making it extremely hard to make sure you have full coverage.

I suppose one other method would be to lower a circular curtain around him, which has a small platform capable of holding him, then when it is lowered, he can step onto the platform, connect some form of fall arrest, and be raised with the curtain. Or you can raise/lower a curtain and have him sneak out...

The show is outdoors, there is plenty of set behind (made to look like rock). We are using pyros already but I want to try and refrain from the typical pantomime fairy appearance as much as possible. I put in this section because initially I was thinking about trapdoors etc rather than using pyros. The stage is elevated a couple of feet but a hole can be dug into the ground below.

Traps will work, but you still need to obscure in some way.

I would aim to give the actor/performer at least 4 feet height wise, that is a relatively comfortable crouch for a 6' tall person, with a bit of room for moving.

If you want information about makeing stage performers vanish or appearer, I recommend you read a book called "Hiding The Elephant" by "Jim Steinmeyer" it covers the history of stage magic and is more of a history of magic than a technical book but dies describe most of the methods used by stage performers in the 1900's onwards. Also Jim Steimeyer is the man who has created many effects which you have probably seen on the tv for the past 40 years and he also published books for some of the methods. a little pricey though.

If you have a lead character in black and a chorus in red, from a distance your lead character will 'disappear' if they somehow become dressed the same as the rest of the chorus, and the clothes-change is obscured.

It's a method Houdini used, amongst others, and there are many ways to work it.

The book mentioned above sounds like what you're after, and I'm going to try and get a copy myself, feed my interest.

Hope this helps.

Or a costume made of crepe paper, or a costume velcroed on top of another - all you need is to somehow obscure your actor for a split second.

Like I said - work out what you want to do, then think of all the many (many) ways it can be done and choose one.

Ideally, you should find a magician (an illusionist) in your area, and speak to them in more detail as they'll be able to meet you/ see the site etc.

You'll find one in the yellow pages, or you can phone Davenports (based in Charing X Underground Arcade), who may be better able to advise of Magical Societies in your area (Not just Magic Circles either - the one I used to belong to was the Scottish Conjuror's Association - who would generally provide amateur/semi-pro magicians for a small donation to the club, as they are generaly financed by member subscription). Or if there is a magic shop near you, pick up a copy of Abra magazine (which I believe is still less than a quid).

Archived