Looking for a short throw, 100% offset projector

BAAL

Hi everyone,

I need a short throw projector to fill a screen starting at floor level, placing the projector on the floor. I've been looking for this quite a long time with little success:

• Short throw projector (0.5:1 or less)
  • Minimum 5k lm
  • High contrast
  • Able to project at lens/floor level (ideally with vertical lens shift - alternatively fixed at 100% offset - Purist might say 50% offset, which I feel to be right, but I find that most people call this 100%)

All the rest is less important

• FHD resolution is enough
  • Light weight and small size preferred since it will have to travel a lot

I'v tried the PANASONIC PT RZ970 with a 0.35 lens, but it is mirrored throwing back over the top of the projector so even being 100% offset (the lowest allowed by the lens shift), the lens is quite high above the floor. and to fill the screen bottom I need tilting the projector quite a lot, consequently requiring keystoning, loosing screen size, and having focus issues.

I've also tried the Fuji Z5000. Really impressive in its lens shift abilities and image quality, but I would like to look a bit further. This one was "just" 5k lm, a bit weak on contrast, quite pricey for those specs and somewhat heavy (12 kg + big flight case required).

Right now I'm using a cheap "hacked" InFocus 3500 lm (IN128HDSTx) - But I need to upgrade, since I need more quality. The hack consisted in making a permanent lensshift. Since there was not enough space for moving the lens all the required way, I also had to tilt it a bit. The offset is perfect for me, and wieght and size are great for travelling around, but I loose sharpness in 2/3 of the screen and the brightness is quite low.

I'm willing to spend up to 9000 € if it is really a great projector fulfilling almost all my wishes (7000 lm up, high contrast, lens shift allowing projection at floor level)

Hanging the projector is not an option, since I usually do not have much time for set up and not always the possibility to hang it. So the easiest (and what I'm looking for) is to put the projector right on the floor.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BAAL

PS: I tried to insert a picture, but I was not allowed. Not sure why.

Are the ultra short throw projectors usually used on classroom whiteboards of any use? They usually seem to have a greater than 100% offset as they are mounted above the board.

They are not usually 5000lm usually more around the 3000-3500 mark but something like the Optoma ZH500UST advertises 5000lm.

Usually they are run lens downward mounted above the board so you'd have to check the operations for for which can be used in either orientation.

Edited by TomHoward

Are the ultra short throw projectors usually used on classroom whiteboards of any use? They usually seem to have a greater than 100% offset as they are mounted above the board.

They are not usually 5000lm usually more around the 3000-3500 mark but something like the Optoma ZH500UST advertises 5000lm.

Usually they are run lens downward mounted above the board so you'd have to check the operations for for which can be used in either orientation.

The thing is exatly that. Almost all of thos projectors DO HAVE an offset above 100%. I need it to be 100% (at best adjustable with lens shift, in order to start the image on the floor with no or very minimal keystone.

Anyway, thank you for trying,

G.

Panasonic do produce a 0.28:1 lens that is conventional and has a good amount of lens shift.

Just googled it. ET-DLE020 is the name, and it could be a solution. Designed for all WUXGA panasonic projectors.

Sounds good, but unfortunately 9K $ just the lens, is far to much for my budget. 9K $ would be my max budget for the whole thing, if everything is very convincing. In addition to that, most of the compatible projectors are quite heavy and many airlines don't even take luggage heavyier than 25 kg (case included). This is also a top limitation.

Thank you anyway, I'll check again. Maybe second hand or some kind of special offer.