LED strip DMX controllable

Brady

Looking for some advice on a project we are looking at. We are looking at about 30 2m strips of white LEDs and want them to be individually controllable through DMX. We don't need rgb control just the ability to turn them on and off individually. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to set this up. I have used LED strip before with DMX decoders but most are for rgb control and I don't want to buy lots of separate decoders if that can be helped.

Thanks for any advice

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but I think you can use the RGB decoders to control three separate white strips - after all, the controller doesn't know what colour it's driving, and just provides 3 channels of DMX control - that would still require many decoders, though it looks like you can buy decoders with many channels such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Decoder-Controller-Dimmer-DC5-24V/dp/B075FHJM35.

When you say individually controllable, do you mean each individual LED is controllable, or are they strips of essentially dumb tape that you want to turn the entire length on and off?

If the former it may well be easiest to have multiple decoders, unless you can reliably chain the shorter sections to share a controller, which could be a fraught process.

If the latter, there are plenty of multichannel DMX to RGB tape controllers available, such as this which gives you 30 channels in one unit. Power supply will be a different issue.

I think you can use the RGB decoders to control three separate white strips - after all, the controller doesn't know what colour it's driving, and just provides 3 channels of DMX control

Exactly so.