X32 Edit

quin

Of course. Looks potentially brilliant, but may well launch at a price quite a bit higher than the X32, which might disappoint people. That said, that strategy would make sense - the X32 can continue to sell for a while, while commanding a premium price for the newer product - and don't forget how much more the X32 was when it first launched...

Anouncement date next Fri (22 Nov), apparently.

Has anyone booted up their X32 with the new firmware and had a play around with it yet? I'm going to be updating mine over the weekend, but be glad to hear anyones findings so far.

There are lots of positive reports on the Music Tribe forum - do you not have a login on there? I'm getting "spammed" several times a day with emails on the initial feedback on this release.

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Mixing-Consoles/X32-Firmware-4-0/td-p/279190

But as Jon says, if you're a "critical" user, holding out a little to see if a .1 pops up can be a wise move!

Kevin

Has anyone booted up their X32 with the new firmware and had a play around with it yet? I'm going to be updating mine over the weekend, but be glad to hear anyones findings so far.

I've been happy enough so far.

Remember, with the ubiquity of the X32, there's a *huge* community of users out there. So far, the only reports have been of occaisional display glitches when switching to FX views, some desk preferences being reset on completing the firmware upgrade, and that's about it. I'd suggest that by next week, if no nasties have been publicised, then it can be considered as reasonably tested in the wild. At that point, I'd assess the risk from the firmware as being much lower than many other risk components in the signal chain.

We updated, but more by coincidence as it hadn’t been out in a while. There’s GUI update but it’s mainly font and colours and a few terms, it isn’t radically different in terms of layout or pages etc. Primarily it’s simpler and higher contrast.

There’s “user” patching blocks - so not exactly Yamaha style free patching, but you can patch say ch1-8 to “user 1-8”, and there’s an extra tab where you set up the user patching and you can route those “user 1-8” inputs freely. Existing patching method is still available.

I don’t think it’s massively ground-up rewritten so buyer beware but I think the major 4.0 might be more marketing to do with the gui than major sections being redesigned or anything to be too worried about.

Edited by TomHoward