Nymrod wireless comms.

Ynot

One of my guys has asked about the Nymrod wireless cans system - Eartec Ultralite - which seems to be a doable budget option to add wire free talkback on stage, but as with all things, if it looks too good to be true it may well be... :)

So - does anyone on here have any actual physical experience with Nymrod gear?

At around £1500 for the hub, I/f and 4 sets of cans it beats the last figure (was around £4 or £5k I recall) I looked at...

Thoughts?

Edited by Ynot

£1500? Ouch! You can get a 5 user Eartec UltraLITE HD setup from ShowComms for £750 here. From what I can tell you’d only need the setup you’ve linked to if you want more than five wireless headsets.

As for real world experience, I’ve only used the setup I linked to once on one show that came to our venue. The headsets are comfortable, especially since there is no belt pack or headset cabling to get in the way. The mic is muted by raising the mic boom, which did take a bit of getting used to, but overall I was impressed with the system. Apparently the headset transmission range is good enough to use on large outdoor gigs, according to the crew who brought the system with them.

£1500? Ouch! You can get a 5 user Eartec UltraLITE HD setup from ShowComms for £750 here. From what I can tell you'd only need the setup you've linked to if you want more than five wireless headsets.

Fair observation.

That did include the hub, so extra expense. And actually I can't envisage ever needing more than 5 sets (barring any going faulty)

What I am keen to know is how robust they are, as well as actual detail of how good the range is.

Another must is the audibility over the cans when you have a band in full tilt above you. Some kit I've had in just doesn't cope with that as well as a good old wired Tecpro system...

£1500? Ouch! You can get a 5 user Eartec UltraLITE HD setup from ShowComms for £750 here. From what I can tell you'd only need the setup you've linked to if you want more than five wireless headsets.

Having just had conversations with the supplier it does appear that if we want to link into our existing wired system (which we would) then we DO have to look at buying a hub in the package...

Having just had conversations with the supplier it does appear that if we want to link into our existing wired system (which we would) then we DO have to look at buying a hub in the package...

There is also an adaptor required to merge CC/TP wired systems with the wireless group.

What I am keen to know is how robust they are, as well as actual detail of how good the range is.

Another must is the audibility over the cans when you have a band in full tilt above you. Some kit I've had in just doesn't cope with that as well as a good old wired Tecpro system...

A few years ago I was looking at buying more Techpro units for a school, to replace ones that had broken. I came across these and given they were a similar price to a techpro unit plus headset I asked Show comms about them. However I eventually decided they were going to be too flimsy for school use, especially given they had been broken/worn out a couple of the ASL boxes. There were also some questions about how well they would work given that wings have a solid masonry wall at the front- I was told they were effectively line of sight (although would obviously have no issues with drapes)

Probably best to try to arrange a demo in your venue, and then you can get hands on and see just how good the build quality is as well

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got 5 and rented another 7 for use for a tv filming special production, the camera crew loved them, apart from the moment when the focus puller pushed the mic behind her head and all everyone could hear was the audience behind her laughing....

the range was good we had video village downstairs under and behind the stage and the range worked to bo office at the from of the building.

they're not as robust as tecpro/asl wired but more affordable than most wireless systems, only downside is they are limited to 16 headsets maimum.... however when I need more I rent in clear com system from CT for 32 headsets... and that's a much better animal but much more epencive option.

yes theyre ok for an average volume but not quite isolated/volume for pit festival work..... but for small theatre/musicals/type thing great. but order a spare set of batteries they last a gig, but having spares if your running from event to event..

ooh yes we've also used them for corporate events, when the lx was in the box and sound was FOH and video was side of stage and FOH had a set to hear how we were getting on.