Dual Purpose FOH and Monitor Rack

BradRWills

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm gonna try and make this concise (oooh a rhyme...how nice)...

I have a Midas MR18 - Which I adore.

I am looking to build a rack which will act as the FOH AND monitor rack for 60% of the time - but on bigger gigs (festivals etc) will act as JUST a monitor rack, and provide a self sufficient, and most importantly, stable, IEM mix for all band members.

I have proper, transformer based signal splitters which will allow me to take each input, and split it two ways. Obviously one signal would go to the MR18 permanently. The other would then pass through, untouched, to the FOH - but my question is how to reliably and effectively have this connection made.

Originally I had thought I would build a rack panel with 16 XLR's for the back of the rack, and then carry a 3m, 16 way XLR Loom. But I am now wondering whether it would be simpler, and frankly a lot less soldering, to use two 25 pin D sub connection looms, with two couplers in a rack panel (cheaply available, pre-made)

I had also considered EDAC - But last time I used EDAC it was such a fiddly nightmare that I gave up building the loom for it.

So my options here as I see them:

16 way patch panel, with a 16 way multi core (lots of soldering, but potentially easier to manage)

or2 X 8 Way looms, with 2 X D-sub connectors, and I'd then get 2 X D-sub to male looms as well. (simple connection, tidy rack panel - but potentially more fragile?)

Budget is of course an issue - I'm a poor musician - but suggestions of alternatives that I haven't considered, would be very welcome!

Brad

Edited by BradRWills

I would suggest looking at the Litton Veam range of multi-way connectors, or compatible connectors from Syntax etc - these are fairly standard in touring circles these days as they are easy to mate, robust, compact and offer reliable connection.

they are however slightly more involved to terminate than a d-sub or XLR but there are plenty of companies around who will construct cable assemblies to your spec if you are not up for the challenge. VDC would be one such company.

I would avoid the ~DB25's, we used to use them for ILDA laser control and they don't travel well ! Cheap yes, but when your show is hanging off it.....

Are your splitters XLR out?

With a (sort of) similar setup I had, I just kept the XLR loom plugged into the splitter, coiled in a ply wood compartment, at the bottom of the rack. Remove a 2U blank plate any just pull it out when needed. I guess it added weight that was not needed most of the time, but it was quick to deploy, and avoided making up extra panels.

+1 for Mark's suggestion, keep the cable connected when not in use. You could even get a rack door like this to hide it behind when it's not in use.

Also, getting a loom made up with the thinnest, nicest multicore cable will help, and the cost will still be less than buying and terminating multipins.

Another +1 for what Mark suggests.

Multipin connectors are lovely but, from what you've said, anything reliable and robust will be out of your budget.

And yes, don't stint on the loom you put together, it'll take some use!