FOH needed Basingstoke

BigYinUK

Hi all

Any recommendations for someone to supply some foh for a rock gig at Academy Snooker Club Basingstoke November 2nd? The club is 500 capacity, so doesn't need to be a huge rig and I don't want to blow the doors out.

There is PA in there but unless they've replaced it since we last played there it was pretty atrocious to be fair.

Dry hire would be good but someone with a reasonable PA that doesn't charge too much also would work for us.

Thanks

Jon

Edited by BigYinUK

Hi. Thanks to JT Stage Productions and Eurohire for their responses and quotes. Both would have been OK money wise, but the kibosh was put on one because its a Saturday and the other because the travelling racked up the cost. Both were good suggestions kit wise with QSC K/KW and Dynacord Cobra both would have been OK for our gig.

I have about £150 to spend

Any other suggestions folks?

• 3 weeks later...
1570640571[/url]' post='577387']

Hi. Thanks to JT Stage Productions and Eurohire for their responses and quotes. Both would have been OK money wise, but the kibosh was put on one because its a Saturday and the other because the travelling racked up the cost. Both were good suggestions kit wise with QSC K/KW and Dynacord Cobra both would have been OK for our gig.

I have about £150 to spend

Any other suggestions folks?

£150 is not 500 people PA money.

£150 is 2 x DXR and a mixwhizz money.

Well not necessarily - I've hired D&B C4 (4 tops + 2 subs) for £150 on several occasions so it is possible and that will happily do 500 people

My own rig is 10k of RCF / EV with 2 subs / 2 tops, 5 monitors, really good mics and an X32 with d/snake and Midas DL16s and I struggle to get £200 for that lot and that's including me mixing. I just didn't want to hire a van and lug it 200 miles, but I'll have to take it and DIY.

I personally think people have inflated ideas about how much they can charge for kit and personnel. OK, corporate shows can afford it but smaller band/club gigs just can't.

Way back 25-30 years ago, I'd get decent money but it just isn't there now imo.

I've been doing this (small scale not as a big business) for 40 years.

I know I could hire what I need locally for under £200.

Gig is tomorrow so wish me luck.

Edited by BigYinUK

I personally think people have inflated ideas about how much they can charge for kit and personnel. OK, corporate shows can afford it but smaller band/club gigs just can't.

It depends. Your overheads will be very different from even a very small rental company. If the £150-£200 budget includes them dropping it off to the venue, then there's staff and vehicles to cover. Most jobbing bands are paying "mates rates" when they need kit and that's also reflected in the money they take themselves. It's a very different picture from, say, an orchestral player on a union contract.

There are also quite drastic price variations between different parts of the country. London and the South East is typically most expensive, partly due to the inflated cost of living. Although in my experience the cost increase has been reflected more in the service side of things than dry hire rates themselves.

^^^ Stuart is bang on the money here.

Although not what we do, I certainly can see how companies can still make money out of DRY HIRING (not delivering, collecting or operating) C series for very little.

Anyone with C4 or C7 on P1200s has likely had the kit on inventory for around 20 years, possibly longer and as such, it has been fully depreciated for years, so whilst it carries on working, the TCO is no more than a lick of paint every couple of years and storage. Because it is so good, it just carries on as a workhorse and still sounds awesome.

So, if the job entails no more than half an hour's work wheeling it out for someone to collect, and checking it back in on Monday + a couple of calls/admin, then carry on sweating the asset.

Of course, for anything other than a 'dry hire' service, you need to be charging many times more than £150, unless sound is a hobby as opposed to a business. By that, I mean, would you rather take out say four E6 / E8 boxes on sticks, four channels of UHF and a Macbook Pro to a weekday financial seminar for £N, or would you prefer to take a 3.5tonne van fully loaded with kit to a rock & roll gig for 1/3 of £N ?

Well not necessarily - I've hired D&B C4 (4 tops + 2 subs) for £150 on several occasions so it is possible and that will happily do 500 people

My own rig is 10k of RCF / EV with 2 subs / 2 tops, 5 monitors, really good mics and an X32 with d/snake and Midas DL16s and I struggle to get £200 for that lot and that's including me mixing. I just didn't want to hire a van and lug it 200 miles, but I'll have to take it and DIY.

Way back 25-30 years ago, I'd get decent money but it just isn't there now imo.

I've been doing this (small scale not as a big business) for 40 years.

I know I could hire what I need locally for under £200.

Gig is tomorrow so wish me luck.

Madness how pricing can be so different, I am only a county on from you (Somerset) we charge a base rate of £200 per day per crew. Let alone do the gig for £200.

I think I got a little confused between you wanting someone to come and supply the whole FOH PA and hand you a left and right XLR rather than just a dry hire (You collect).

I second the whole C7 thing, lovely system. I own some.

Hope the gig went well.