Miltel Gobos

martinw

Anyone know anything about Miltel gobos - I keep coming across them in boxes of old gobos and wondered who they were and what happened to them. Some of the designs are really interesting, but I've not seen them elsewhere so I don't think the range got bought by another company. Some of them are octagonal shaped, rather than the usual circular.

Thanks

Martin

Anyone know anything about Miltel gobos - I keep coming across them in boxes of old gobos and wondered who they were and what happened to them. Some of the designs are really interesting, but I've not seen them elsewhere so I don't think the range got bought by another company. Some of them are octagonal shaped, rather than the usual circular.

Thanks

Martin

I'm pretty sure they got purchased/taken over by Rosco. I know I've seen some Miltel designs in their catalogue.

Thanks

Martin

I'm pretty sure they got purchased/taken over by Rosco. I know I've seen some Miltel designs in their catalogue.

Miltel Gobos were first bought by RB Lighting in the mid 1990's but then they passed on the designs to DHA who then merged with Rosco as correctly stated by earlier correspondant. Rosco do not produce every Miltel Design as they needed to streamline their own range with both DHA and Miltel.

If memory serves me right (not guaranteed) Miltel gobos were invented by BBC LD Bill Millar in the 1970s or 1980s (I remember getting them from RB in the 1980s). In those days if you worked for the BBC anything you invented belonged to them, so I suspect they were sold through RB but manufactured by DHA (lighting was much more of an old-boys network in those days). Rosco started selling DHA (incl. Miltel) gobos in the 1980s & eventually took them over, using their own gobo numbers. IIRC they were only ever available in A-size (so no use to the Source-4 generation).

...IRC they were only ever available in A-size (so no use to the Source-4 generation).

The majority of our gobo stock is A-size for both our Source 4s and Pacific 23/50s.

Memory, & my WL "Bible", suggests A for Pacifics, but B for Source-4s. You can butcher an A-size to fit, but you lose the edges of the image, which may or not be a problem.