Sennheiser XSW Bodypack fault?

Malcolm Gordon

Most likely to be an issue with the mic itself. Either a fault in the cable (likely to be at the body pack connection) or the jack socket connector itself may have worked loose. The original XSW series of body packs did not have a locking nut fitted on the jack socket whereas later versions do. If the mic is repeatedly fitted and unfitted from the body pack the socket can often become loose leading to severe crackling in the audio. One other issue might be sweat having gathered in the mic capsule - this often appears as a crackle after a period of time in use. Best remedy would be to check the security of the jack socket and/or replace the mic itself.

The mic plug does have a locking nut. I did try waggling the jack in the socket and the cable itself, without effect. The way the mic is used it is unlikely to have encountered sweat. I am also told that the mic has been replaced.

I have just spoken to the user and enquired about batteries, to be told that a fresh set (of Duracells) lasted a bit longer (i.e. more than 20 minutes) before the crackling set in, which suggested to me that voltage regulation might be an issue.

They have the supplier on the case, and will also try relocating the receiver aerials, to improve reception. However, I would have thought that the effect of poor reception would be immediate rather than time dependent.