any info on the correct use of rigging steels?

strandgsx

hey peeps.

Ive been trawling the net looking for useful info on the correct rigging procedures for rigging steels? As in how to correctly attach to aluminum bars and hanging speakers etc etc.

Its only that ive been asked to supply info and cant find any.

Thanks

Mark

I'm sorry to say this - but do you learn from your mistakes?

You've just hurt yourself by dropping one speaker and now you are going to make your own steels up.

If I were you, I'd buy ready made ones, supplied with correct fixings for your application. I'm also assuming your speakers are fitted with hanging points? - get this part from the manufacturer and fit using their recommendations.

There is not much to know but if you do not know it is hardly the sort of thing you can learn from the internet. If you were to take the advice of someone who advised you in authoritative terms that THIS was the way to do it, you could potentially do a great deal of harm if it goes wrong. Phone the manufacturers, ask for advice (not on the internet, try talking to people). If you are still stuck, ask a rigging company. They will probably not be too interested in hanging a couple of speakers but they might know someone who is.

Often, as others may well be aware, I despair at the amount of legislation foisted upon us, and how the prescriptive nature of legislation in this country is stifling common sense. Not all the time though.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom ( again!!) but if you have to ask the question how to rig steels etc then you clearly should not be doing it. It's not some thing you can JUST look up on the net. There are many different variables to take into consideration weight, placement, height, angle , SWL of the 'Flybar' etc

I would contact a rigging company like Summit Steel or Star Rigging and get a professional's opinion.

I would also add that for a company who is offering an Installation service this is a worrying post.

Yours

TM

I think that ive been mis understood, iam not making rigging steels nor using them, I have no need to, A local school that I tutor for their performing arts betec asked how they are used, iam not a rigger so was just looking for some simle info on their use etc thats all.

mark

Hi,

"An Introduction to Rigging in the Entertainment Industry" by Chris Higgs (published Entertainment Technology Press) discusses the use of rigging steels, with some diagrams.

I don't know about any websites though.

HTH

Ed

Archived