Multi-screen

Hope you can help,

I am looking at doing some video image work in a theatre performance, projection is not an option as there will be performers on stage at the time, and no room to back project, I have seen multiple plasma screens used and linked to form one large screen, I wondered if anyone has ne any experiance of this n how it looks, the video would be run from a laptop.

Hope you can help,

I am looking at doing some video image work in a theatre performance, projection is not an option as there will be performers on stage at the time, and no room to back project, I have seen multiple plasma screens used and linked to form one large screen, I wondered if anyone has ne any experiance of this n how it looks, the video would be run from a laptop.

A lot depends on the plasmas inputs - You can get 'scan converter' dongles which will convert a VGA (laptop) output to most common formats (ie RCA). If you have multiple plasmas playing the same thing image, it is not overly difficult - a loacal shop I found had an 8 channel splitter/amp that took RCA input for AU$40. I have no idea about the price of boxes to split video over a number of screens, but I can guarantee it will be a lot more than a splitter

Mac is right that a box to split the image over multiple screens would be very expensive, as it will have to do a lot of image processing, there are however a few ways you could possibly do it on the cheap.

My scan convertor allows me to zoom in on a particular part of the image, if you could find one with a variable zoom, then split the VGA signal using a VGA distribution amp (DA), feed each to a different scan convertor, which is zoomed in on a particular part of the screen, then send each of these to the relevant plasma screens.

Another alternative would be Video LAN Player which allows you to turn anything running through it into a video wall, then you could send each screen to a different monitor, then scan convert them onto the plasmas, however obviously you need a lot of graphics outputs on the system.

I've never tried either of these ideas but both should work in theory.

HTH

PN

Hope you can help,

I have seen multiple plasma screens used and linked to form one large screen, I wondered if anyone has ne any experiance of this n how it looks, the video would be run from a laptop.

I do this often , we have a stock of samsoung plasmas that do the proccessing for video walls ect eg 2x2,3x3,4x4, 1x5,5x1

all I do is use a £40 cpc svga splitter on the backend of the laptop to feed the same thing to all 4 plasmas ,then each plasma takes the bit it needs and displays it.

ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you can help,

I have seen multiple plasma screens used and linked to form one large screen, I wondered if anyone has ne any experiance of this n how it looks, the video would be run from a laptop.

I do this often , we have a stock of samsoung plasmas that do the proccessing for video walls ect eg 2x2,3x3,4x4, 1x5,5x1

And, indeed, Panasonic plasmas support the same thing - simply tell the plasma what size matrix you're using and where it is in the matrix. I've only got one, but it certainly does do what it's told. Also, the Panasonics have a composite video out, so you can daisy chain them - no additional kit required. Not sure if the quality of the image on the final link in the chain would be OK - though probably fine for stage use.

Archived