Electronics guru needed

simontl

Can anyone help me to wire an apart MICPAT-2 to XLR so we can route SM paging to a m

ixer for backstage and separately to FOH? The spec says the connections can be balanced. Will the mic be safe from phantom power? Thanks!

http://tlaconsultancy.co.uk/images/sound/micpat-2.jpg

What are you connecting it to?

Looks like there's one audio output & one switching one which also powers the LEDs. XLRs labeled Zone One & Zone 2 would appear to be wrong.

Audio is shield > Pin 1, Red > Pin 2 & White > Pin 3 on an XLR.

Switching depends on the wiring of whatever you're connecting to.

Can anyone help me to wire an apart MICPAT-2 to XLR so we can route SM paging to a mixer for backstage and separately to FOH? The spec says the connections can be balanced. Will the mic be safe from phantom power? Thanks!

It appears that the device only has 1 audio output, and relies on an external switching system controlled by the 2 switches to route the signal.

Mac

Mark beat me to it. The mic is presumably routed by whatever "Black" & "Blue" are connected to. It is designed to work with Apart 2-zone mixer-amps, so the zone-routing would happen in the mixer-amp (the images of 3-pin XLRs appear to be unrelated).

If you don't mind gutting the unit you COULD rewire it so that pushing 1 button routes the mic to White & Red & the other routes it to, say, Yellow & Blue. If one of your destinations uses phantom power you will need a 1:1 transformer between it & the mic (for safety I would suggest using transformers for both outputs).

Data-sheet for the mic is at http://www.apart-aud...ctcode=MICPAT-2

E2A: Your diagram [without the XLRs} is from the manual. Does that mean you have already bought the mic? If not there may be easier ways to do what you want.

Thanks all. I have looked at simple circuit diagrams but not for 40 years. So the explanation that the zone switching is elsewhere explains why the various combinations I tried were not affected by the switches. Yes; I bought it, so the best solution is to rewire it. Zone 1 will go to a mixer - mixing the signal with a feed of stage sound from a condenser rifle mic so that needs phantom power. I could put the transformer - I presume it is tiny - in the MICPAT box. Or use a phantom power adapter for the condenser mic and switch off the mixer phantom power unless that will come back into the mixer via the condenser mic?

It would be nice to add power to illuminate the LEDs. I guess starting with 5v is worth a shot.

Thanks again.

If the mic base is metal you should be able to use an unshielded transformer. The last ones I bought (Beyer, from CPC) were a bit smaller than a sugar cube (& a lot cheaper than a phantom power unit).

A 470 - 1k resistor for each LED would give about 5 - 10mA from 5V, or you could just stick in a couple of alkaline AAs (with maybe a small value resistor) & change them every few years (or when you can't see the LEDs any more).

Archived