C clamps n safety chains

Mac2

Personally, I think you should select clamps from a reputable manufacturer who marks a working load limit on the hook clamp from a known factor of safety of say 4:1.

Safety bonds for lighting, loudspeakers and so on should be used wherever people may be present underneath and the fixing is temporary or could be displaced. (i.e., the bolt won't fail, but an access machine could still rip the yoke off it). Hence the need to use a strong enough wire rope, terminated properly with as little slack as possible and attached to something that will take a similar load both on the bar/whatever and the luminaire body or speaker frame, etc..

The safety bond should be LOLER compliant because when it is used it will be subject to forces akin to lifting equipment.

The safety bond therefore needs a factor of safety of at least 6, preferably 8 and be marked in accordance with LOLER.

Both clamp and bond should be identifiable (by number, most easily) to enable inspection and recording of inspection.

Even if the kit isn't technically 'lifting' equipment it is still 'work equipment' and needs to be fit for purpose and inspected often enough to ensure it stays that way.

HTH?

• 2 weeks later...

Anything that helps prevent accidents, or can prove that you took reasonable steps to prevent an accident should it happen, is a good idea in my book. It doesn't take a lot of effort. If someone was killed, or you were taken to court for a serious injury due to equipment failure, then an inspection history can help prove you were not negligent.

It may be slightly different for you lighting boys (you probably have far more clamps etc than us sound guys) but in our case every hook, safety, clamp, shackle, roundsling, steel and flying frame is stamped with a serial number and SWL. A file contains a record of all load and inspection test certificates and I hope I never have to get it out for anything other than adding another certificate to it.

Anything that helps prevent accidents, or can prove that you took reasonable steps to prevent an accident should it happen, is a good idea in my book.

Absolutely. And within PUWER and LOLER lie your guidelines for these. As a supplier you are responsible to take all reasonable steps to make your equipment safe for its intended purpose.

As a comparison, there was a case in general industry where a powder coating company were using S Hooks that had been supplied by a local lifting company. One opened up and dropped a rather expensive piece of equipment onto the floor. Without boring the pants off everyone, the result of the ensuing court case was that the lifting company were found liable for the compensation claim purely on the basis that they had made a piece of equipment and hadn't taken all reasonable steps to ensure that it was fit for purpose. In summing up, the the Lifting company fell short by not rating the equipment they were supplying, even though in their opinion it was not a dynamic lift.

The factor of safety is another argument, but in the above case it was recommended 5:1 although regulation would allow 4:1.

If you have taken all reasonable steps to make your equipment safe as a supplier/manufacturer and supplied the client with safe use instructions and a certificate of conformity, you have done your job. I think you will find that it is considered best practice to have ALL clamps, bonds and other equipment rated, because as Chris says if they are used in anger, you need to know they are fit for purpose. And apart from a recommended WLL, how else will you know?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived