Martin Magnum 2000

J Pearce

We have an aged and much abused Martin Magnum 2000. When it works it is a great machine, capable of filling a large theatre with impenetrably thick smoke in a remarkably short space of time. It has caught a few student ASMs by surprise, delaying tech rehearsals while we work out where the stage is, where the machine is, and in what corner the ASM is now hiding.

However, of late it has become obstinate and doesn't always produce smoke when asked, and to really provoke the ire of our esteemed and smoke deprived directoral colleagues will also gently puff away when smoke has not been called for.

I've got it in the workshop to take it apart for a service, I'm already planning on cleaning all the piping and heater tube, and inspecting the pump - is there anything else I should be looking for?

I am aware of the live heatsink on this machine, and am planning to avoid live work, but will switch out the heater for a tungsten lamp if I have to work live.

Hi Jon, I guess you use it with the optional DMX interface... I recall if the channel isn't fully off, the Magnum will have a gentle puff like you refer to, 2 or 3 times a minute!

Just refreshed myself and looked it up, indeed 0-20 is off and 21-42 is the gentle (lowest) of the 9 settings where this happens.

Archived