Behringer XM8500

Rich

Do they have the same clarity as the 58's?

I need some 58's or similar quality mics, but cannot afford the real thing. I have a few studiosp.ares £25 mics, but they colour the sound too much. perfect for DJ's though

I've never had trouble from our 4 XM8500s. Seem robustly built and give a good sound for the money. I agree that the handling noise is poor, and the pop shielding is not as good as the SM58 IMHO. However, stand mounted as an announcer mic or for use as an extra mic in a radio studio - I have no major grumbles.

Tried to pick up the sound of taps shoes with them once...but we'll not go there again.

why not buy some sennheiser E835 microphones?

The XM85 sounds very much like a me too product, Sennheiser have been making microphones for a long time and are known for it. Behringer - not so.

Please don't try and skimp on microphones - you will regret it later on in life.

They are rather nice, they're also cheaper than the 58's, but I wouldn't say that you'll find a mic more robust than a 58 for vocals

Hi,

They are rather nice, they're also cheaper than the 58's, but I wouldn't say that you'll find a mic more robust than a 58 for vocals

I like the Sennheisers, too. The new 935 are great (but too expensive in your case). But I have some of the 835, 845 and 855. They are very good value. Here in Germany the customer support is ok. They even gave me a new e845 for a crashed one.

ciao

bemi

Please don't try and skimp on microphones - you will regret it later on in life.

I'd just like to echo this sentiment - I was doing a gig the other night without my usual mics and had a variety of Behringer, AT and other brand "cheap" mics. I found the amount of corrective EQ I had to apply quite amazing, and the mics still sounded naff! It is very much worth spending the extra £££ on Shure SM range or above, Sennheiser etc.

OK for the money. Not as good as our SM58's but fine for School use (which is what I use them for). Vocals and Instruments are OK but not sparkling. Seems to suit male vocals better than female. Fairly robust and come in a plastic box lined with foam. We use a little eq on them. Handling noise hasn't been a problem. Not as nickable as SM58's so I don't get so stressed about them. Overall they are good value but if you want top notch sound then get SM58's. I tend to put my lead vocals on the SM58 and use the XM8500 for backing vocals and instruments. That way I get quality where I really want it and quantity where I need it.

The XM85 sounds very much like a me too product, Sennheiser have been making microphones for a long time and are known for it. Behringer - not so.

Is the E835 the one with the flat top? I've used one a couple of times and found it to be a little lacking on the top end, I'll try it again.

As for skimping on mics, I simply don't have the funds available at the moment, and require a couple of mics to fill in for a month or so.

Vocals and Instruments are OK but not sparkling.

Do you mean lacking in brightness, or just generally inferior?

Cheers for your advice folks. Rich

Moderation: Two posts merged, please use the edit function if your post is still the last on the topic.

Vocals and Instruments are OK but not sparkling.

They lack a little at the top compared to our SM58's on the same system. If, as you say, funds are limited I'd say go for the XM8500. They are good value. You can then get better when you can afford it and relegate the 8500 to backing vocals etc. That's how we did it. Sometimes you have to compromise.

The XM8500 is £16 and you get a half way decent microphone. http://www.dv247.com/invt/15822

The SM58 is £70 and you get a good microphone. http://www.dv247.com/invt/13248

(no connection with this firm just a quick Google)

If you don't have £70 or multiples these'll do a job for you. I think you'll be satisfied at that price. Or buy one at that price and give it a try.

Archived